Chapter 4: Playtime?

After an hour nap DogDay was ready to go. He walked outside to see that everyone was doing something. Crafty was painting once again and Bobby was being her model for said painting. Bubba was carefully watching Kicken and Hoppy plan out a stunt that was probably going to get one of them hurt. Picky was sitting down under a tree watching the three of them.

He decided to take a walk and maybe find a tree to relax under. The best thing about their neighborhood is that there is a small beach, but only a few people hang out there. Like Kicken for one, he had a surfboard when he moved in and when he found out about the beach boy was he excited.

If you go far enough into the woods you can find a small creek that leads into a massive pond. There are a few fish that live in that pond.

As DogDay was walking he found a few pinecones that he threw trying to see how far he can throw something. It wasn't far, but it was a good effort. He saw a small patch of wildflowers that no one had disturbed... Yet. He walked past it and headed farther in.

He never worries about getting lost, he can always find his way back.

He eventually found the pond and looked into the crystal clear water and saw a few more fish then usual. He walked backwards and sat down under a tree and enjoyed the quiet and peace.

He closed his eyes and listened to the sounds. The running water, the breeze, the very distant sounds of his friends either talking or arguing over something pointless, and purring.

Wait a minute? Purring?

He opened his eyes and looked up to see CatNap in the tree laying on a very sturdy branch. CatNap's tail was softly swaying back and forth as he was napping once again.

CatNap opened one eye and saw DogDay staring at him, "Uh, hi."

"Enjoying yourself?" He asked the feline

CatNap nods, "It's nice up here. The sun is in the right place and everything."

"Are you napping up there because you're stuck?" DogDay asked him

CatNap shakes his head, "I can get down. I like laying in the sun, sometimes it makes me sleepy."

DogDay nods, he get it. It's like when he stays up a little too late just to see the moon. He gets up from his spot as he hears the others calling for him, it faint, but clear enough.

"Wait!" CatNap calls out

DogDay turns to look at the feline and watches as he leaps out of the tree and ands on his feet in a very graceful manner. CatNap grabs onto DogDay's paw and looks away.

DogDay just smiles, "Alright, let's go Kitty."

CatNap would be lying of he said that he didn't like the nickname, he actually loves it. It was special and unique, just like DogDay.

As they walked out of the woods they saw the others in the middle of the neighborhood.

"There you are. What were you two doing in the woods?" Crafty asked them

DogDay playfully rolled his eyes, "I was enjoying the scenery and CatNap was taking a nap in the trees."

"That's adorable, you act just like a kitty." Hoppy gushed

"Am I not supposed to?" CatNap asked her tilting his head to the side

The girls all gushed over how cute he was being. Kicken ran over to the duo with a frisbee in his wing.

"Wanna play?" He asked them

DogDay's tail started to wag with excitement, "Oh I would love to! How about you, Kitty? Do you wanna join?"

CatNap shook his head, "No thank you. I'm not very athletic. I can't throw stuff properly."

"That's okay, I'm not very athletic myself." Bubba told him

"Is it okay if I just watch?" CatNap asked

Kicken wrapped a wing around CatNap, "Aw come on! It's not every day that you get to hang out with the cool kids."

"I just don't feel very confident yet." CatNap said moving closer to DogDay

"You can sit and watch. No one is forcing you to play." DogDay told him

CatNap hesitated for a moment then walked over to a nearby tree and climbed up to one of the sturdy branches and laid down.

The remaining seven all formed a circle and tossed the frisbee back and forth not really having an order to it.

"He's so terribly shy." Bobby sighed, "I wish he would open up more."

"It makes me feel like he's hiding something." Kicken scoffed looking at CatNap for a moment

"He seems very attached to DogDay though." Picky reminds everyone

DogDay realizes that everyone was looking at him, "What?"

"So, what's CatNap's deal?" Hoppy asked him

"Nothing is wrong with him. He's just shy and needs time to get use to everyone. I have absolutely no idea as to why he's so attached to me."

"There has to be something?" Bubba questioned

"We shouldn't poke around, that's rude." DogDay reminded them

"We aren't poking around, we're investigating!" Crafty said

"It's the same thing." DogDay sighed

"Maybe we can all give him things, like what DogDay did." Picky suggested

"I did that out of pure kindness not because I want to be nosy and snoop around in you're business." DogDay told them

"Aw come on! Just let us do this one thing." Hoppy begged

"And risk having our new friend leave. No thank you." DogDay shook his head

"You're no fun." Kicken threw the frisbee a little too hard and it sailed over to where CatNap was

"Oh no, Kitty look out!" DogDay warned him

CatNap opened one eye and caught the plastic disk with his tail. He simply tossed it back, but it was a bit wobbly and didn't go as far as he wanted it to. It only went about halfway before falling into the ground.

"Not athletic my foot! You can totally play with us. We just have to move closer to the tree." Bubba said placing his hooves on his hips

CatNap shook his head, "I don't wanna play. Maybe next time."

With that CatNap leapt out of the tree and headed back home.

"Do you want me to join you, Kitty?" DogDay asked him

CatNap shook his head, "No, you can stay and play. I don't want to keep you from you're friends."

DogDay's tail fell limp and he turned back towards the others, "Looks like we have to apologize."

"Why?" Kicken asked, "We didn't do anything wrong."

Hoppy punched his shoulder hard, "Don't worry. We'll start to think of ways to apologize. You go to CatNap and make sure he's alright. We'll see you in about 2 hours."

DogDay nods, "Alright see you there."

He started to head towards CatNap's house. He didn't want anyone to feel like they don't belong in the neighborhood.