Chapter 1: Welcome to Watergate

I never really wanted to leave. Honestly. I know my mom would say otherwise, but I didn't really want to leave. Nobody to my knowledge would just up and leave their entire life in the middle of high school. Leave behind everything they know and love and all of their childhood friends, just to go live in some town with their dad who had been estranged for 6 years now. In all honesty Watergate is not all that bad, it's just too small for me.

Watergate is a small beach town surrounded by palm trees that stretch for miles and miles, with clear blue water and weather that feels like summer all year long. Sounds heavenly right? You basically get to live at a holiday destination all year. It just doesn't do it for me. I am a city girl through and through, a town like Watergate feels like too much of a cage for me. You see the same exact faces every day and within a matter of a week you've seen everything the town has to offer. Compared to Montecide City, Watergate is just an alley.

Montecide City is where I was born and raised. It's where I lived my life before and after my parent's divorce; before and after my dad turned our daily calls to weekly, then monthly, to just yearly on my birthday. I'm honestly a bit hesitant about the decision I took to move in with my dad this year. I wish I could've made it work with my mom, everything had been going good after my dad had left. We were there for each other, picking up the pieces and putting them back together. We were each other's support. That is until James came into our lives. She changed, she couldn't see that she changed. It was too painful to watch, to be a part of. So I left, came to salvage whatever was left of the only parental relationship I had with my dad.

I felt the train come to a screeching halt and that shook me out of whatever daydream I was having. I was here. To say I was nervous would be the understatement of the century. I was close to vomiting more than anything, my stomach was doing somersaults. I was starting over. Starting over my life and relationship with my dad, in a town where I knew only one person. If that isn't a nerve wrecking concept then I don't know what is.

I stepped out of the train with my luggage in hand and made my way out of the station. I didn't bring a lot with me from Montecide City. I had to leave most things behind because they would have been a constant reminder of the people and life I left behind and I was desperately trying to move on. The warmth of the sun immediately wrapped around me as I stepped out of the station. I immediately began to look around, trying to find my dad's bald head in the many heads that were outside the station. 'Amari', I heard a distant voice calling. My heartbeat increased rapidly. I would recognise that voice anywhere even if I only heard it once year. I turned around and was met with my dad's eyes.

This was officially it. The beginning of another life. My dad started weirdly jogging towards me and in a matter of seconds I was engulfed in a hug. "Oh I missed you baby girl", he breathed into my hair. "I missed you too dad" I mumbled nervously. I wasn't really expecting the affection to be honest. I had not seen the man in 6 years and the number of times we spoke on the phone gave me the impression that I was not someone he would be this excited to see.

"Let me carry those for you", he said grabbing my two suitcases. "The car is just around the corner of the station. I couldn't find any closer parking so I hope you don't mind the extra little walk you have to do after such a long train ride".

"The corner doesn't seem so far, so I think I can manage". He started leading the way and I slowly trekked right behind him. "Are you excited to see Watergate?" my dad asked as he loaded the suitcases in the boot of his Mercedes.

"Yeah, I wanna see what had my dad so fascinated that he couldn't leave for one day in six years to see his only child". I regretted the words immediately after they left my mouth. "Amari..." my dad sighed with his head hung low.

"No dad I'm so sorry. I'm a bit hungry so I think the claws might be coming out", I chuckled nervously. I mean half of it wasn't a lie, but I just got here and I was not in the mood to dig deep.