Chapter 2: A New Record

The sinking feeling in my stomach hadn't quite disappeared this morning. The realisation of what I had gotten myself into by agreeing to this beach day was just hitting me. I am a social person, don't get me wrong. I just never seem to hit it off with girls, Kaliyah and the girls taking a liking to me was pure luck and I am kind of worried that the luck might run out today. I barely spent an hour with them yesterday, what happens when they feel like they're over being my 'welcome committee'; what happens then? Ugh let me get that out of my head, it beats staying here at home with dad the entire day.

Yesterday was AWKWARD! After getting food at the mall we came home and he immediately started preparing dinner while I unpacked. During dinner he tried to make small talk. He asked me about my old school and old friends, these felt like questions that he should have had answers to as a father. After my very short answers to his questions I'm guessing he got the hint because the rest of our dinner continued in silence. So staying home... not an option.

I climbed down the stairs in my yellow bikini top with my light blue denim shorts and my beige sandals. They were the only pair I had, in Montecide I was always in sneakers so I never really thought about getting sandals when I went shopping. The only reason I even have this pair is because my mom got them for me as a going away present, I guess she knew I couldn't survive on just sneakers in beach town.

"Amari, breakfast's ready", my dad yelled from the kitchen

"Geez I think I might have popped an eardrum", I said dramatically holding my ear as I took the last step and took a turn into the kitchen.

My dad chuckled, "I thought you were still upstairs" he finally looks up from the pan and notices my attire. "Plans?" he asked with his eyebrow perked up. I climbed on top of the kitchen island chair.

"Yeah, remember those girls from the mall yesterday? The ones that were walking with me when I came back to the food court yesterday", my dad nodded.

"They invited me to hang out with them at the beach today".

"Look at you making friends already", my dad said with a huge smile plastered on his face. I just chuckled, "trust me, I'm just as surprised as you are dad". After finishing my eggs, I climbed off the chair and made my way towards the door.

"See you later dad".

"Be safe", he yelled as I shut the door behind me and made my way towards the beach.

I don't why I thought finding them was going to be an easy task. Apparently all the kids in Watergate spent their last day of summer at the beach because it was teens and more teens as far as the eye could stretch. After 5 minutes of just walking straight forward and not seeing any familiar faces I was about to give up and turn around until a familiar head of blonde braids came into my eye view. "Lorei", I yelled. I hoped to God it was her or I was going to look incredibly stupid. She turned around and biggest smile planted itself on her face. She turned her head back and raised her arm as if to beckon someone and turned back around to point her arm at me. Two more bodies came into my line of vision and they were Kaliyah and Josette. The three of them with huge smiles on their faces came running towards me.

Whatever nervous feeling I had began to disappear. The energy the girls were approaching me with was assuring that today was going to be a Good day.

"You actually came?" Josette said.

"Actually came?" I asked with a puzzled yet slightly offended look.

"No it's not like that" Lorei giggled. "Josette kept saying you might bail on us because we might've came on a bit too strong yesterday, you know?"

"I thought we might have been a bit off-putting and a teensy bit thirsty", Josette added with a tight smile.

"'We' better exclude me", interrupted Kaliyah. "I give this energy all day and every day, how someone else interprets it is none of my business as far as I'm concerned" she said with the most confident look on her face.