Chapter thirty-eight - July 17th

Days came and went and suddenly it was July 17th. Luca's birthday. It was strange not to wake her up by singing Happy Birthday and give her breakfast in bed. That's what we usually did. Today it was different. Today we were getting ready to visit her at the juvenile center, celebrating her the best way we could under these circumstances.

"So, what do you think?" I asked, holding out some different dress options.

Demon tilted his head to the side with a small disapproving sound.

"I know, right? Nothing looks good!" Sighing, I ran my fingers through my dog's fur, appreciating his opinion on fashion. Knowing I wouldn't get anywhere without some help, I opened my bedroom door to the corridor.

"Slay?" I called out.

"Sunshine?"

"Can you come help me, please?"

The sound of shuffling and footsteps reached my ears, a few seconds later Slade strolled into my room. He paused in the doorway, his eyes wide as he took in the scene.

"What happened here, sweetie?" He questioned, gesturing to the numerous dresses that were sprawled out across my bed and carpet.

Sighing, I gazed up at him. "I don't know what to wear".

"Honey, you look beautiful in whatever you put on", he said, picking up the dresses that laid on the floor.

"No, because that one is itchy, that one is ugly and that one makes me look like a clown". I grimaced, pointing an accusing finger at the dresses.

Slade nodded a single time with a thoughtful expression, his lips pursed in a thin line. "What about the other ones?"

"This one is my favorite one", I mumbled, reaching out for the yellow dress with white flowers on. The material was super soft, and I loved how the light fabric swissed through the air when I spun around.

Slade gave me a beaming smile as he clapped his hands together. "Problem solved then".

"No", I sighed again.

"No?" His brows scrunched together as a drop of sweat formed on his forehead.

"Look at the sleeves", I said pointing at the long hems with cute ruffles. "I'll die of heatstroke if I wear this".

"Oh dear". My brother released a loud breath, scratching the back of his neck. "Stay here! I'll call for backup". With that he disappeared out of my room for a few moments before he reappeared with his twin.

"Hey little darling. What's wrong?" He asked, wrapping a comforting arm around my shoulder.

"I've got nothing to wear". Fumbling with my fingers, my head lowered as I started to lose hope that I would find a nice outfit for my sister's birthday.

"Don't worry darling, there's plenty of cute dresses right here. I personally love the green one". Holding it up for me to see, I began shaking my head. Before I could protest, Ray held a finger to my lips. "Just try it on. I'm sure you'll look gorgeous".

"Ray, it's too big", I said, pushing the dress back to him.

"Nonsense! Try it on", he urged with an encouraging smile.

I groaned displeased, as I pulled the dress over my head, giving my brothers a look that said, 'told you so', when the sleeves were slipping off my arms. They shared an uneasy gaze, one rolling his lips between his teeth, the other tapping his foot on the floor.

"Look, it's not that bad", Ray tried to compensate after a moment. "Right Slade?"

His twin cleared his throat, nodding earnestly. "Not bad at all".