07

Chapter 07
Cate

We won division levels.

The triumph, though expected, floods me with a mixture of emotions. Yes, there's elation, but there's also a lingering sense of unease. Winning wasn't supposed to feel like this.

"This is just the first step to reaching our goal: Nationals. We'll be working twice as hard now and we'll be with each other in this journey. We will need teamwork."

I nodded at Coach Tes but deep down I was dreading this moment.

As Coach Tes speaks, my attention drifts to Lizzy. She listens intently, seemingly unfazed by the tension surrounding us. It irks me how effortlessly she fits in, how she seems oblivious to the turmoil she's caused.

I just want to go home. I just want to be away from her. And yet, here I am, forced to endure her company day after day.

My eyes gazed upon Lizzy who was intently listening to Coach Tes. My eyes sharpened at the sight. Good for you you can be so unbothered!

Her mere presence bothered me. I hate the way she looks, I hate the way she talks, I hate it even more that I have to be around her all the time.

I should've nipped it in the bud when I had the chance.

As our meeting concluded, we were dismissed back to the classroom. I wasted no time in leaving, my steps quickening as I made my way to the elevator. Arriving at its doors, I found Lizzy already inside, her gaze meeting mine.

I moved to join her, but before I could step in, her hand darted to the buttons, and the doors sealed shut with a decisive click.

Frustration surged within me, a simmering anger at the sight of her. My jaw clenched as my fingers formed into fists.

I wanted to curse but I heaved a deep breath and walked to the stairs to go back to our classroom.

I felt the urge to curse, but I resisted, taking a deep breath instead as I made my way to the stairs to return to our classroom.

I have been studying here at Rosalind School for more than a decade and I never had an enemy. Well, that's what people think.

I am no saint. I also hate people. But no one would never know because of how good I kept it. I never told my friends about who I liked and who I didn't. I was always neutral. But that didn't mean that I didn't have my own thoughts.

I find it useless to group people together and talk about how much I hate this one person. What am I, a child? And even when I was one, I never did such an impertinence. I was raised better than that.

And clearly, Lizzy was raised in a manner that's, well, up for debate.

After we returned from our break, she's been acting like a child. No, worse than that! She's acting like an animal! It was as if she had forgotten about manners and right conduct. It is only when we are inside the clubroom that she remembers I am still a human being.

I never liked Lizzy, but I never showed her that. I didn't speak to her if I didn't have to, and that was enough! But she does everything to show that she does not like me. It's fine if she doesn't like me, have the decency at least to ve civil like a normal person.

I reached the classroom and sat beside Lizzy. Yes, they haven't changed the sitting arrangements since the first grading period.

Lizzy was talking with our classmates while I silently read a book. Her boisterous laugh distracts me from reading. I couldn't even read the next sentence.

I glanced at Lizzy and her eyes met mine. She turned to our classmates and whispered, but was enough for me to hear.

"She doesn't like it when someone is having fun without her. Not my fault she's boring."