Chapter 6

☘︎ *⚜*☘︎

𝕼𝖚𝖎𝖉 𝕻𝖗𝖔 𝖂𝖔𝖊

☘︎ *⚜*☘︎

A/N: Note - F/N stands for fairy name, so imagine whatever fairy name you would give yourself.

Song used (later) - Mordred's Lullaby by Heather Dale

☘︎ *⚜*☘︎

"Crackstone is coming."

As Wednesday opened his eyes, he found himself lying in the dewy grass, with a misty night hanging over him. He lay there for a moment, reminding himself of how he had arrived at this situation. Enid and Thing had tricked him into attending a birthday party. For him. He grimaced at the thought of having to wake from this vision to rejoin the party. He might have to break a few of Thing's fingers after.

"Crackstone is coming."

Rising from his bed of grass, Wednesday surveyed the grounds around him. To his left was a warped iron gate, rusted with age and infected with tendrils of ivy. And standing on the other side of the gate, was a familiar witch.

"Goody."

"You are the Raven in my bloodline."

Wednesday thought back to his mother's words. A Raven. Plagued by negative visions. Visions that allowed him to see the darkness in the world.

"Wednesday."

Goody now stood beside the boy.

"I was told you could teach me how to control my ability," Wednesday said.

"There is no controlling a raging river. You must learn to navigate it without drowning. Time is not on our side." Goody turned towards the gate and Wednesday followed her gaze. "To stop Crackstone, this place you must seek."

"Do you always speak in riddles?"

"Do you always seek simple answers?" Goody turned to her descendant again. "The path of a Raven is a solitary one. You end up alone, unable to trust others, only seeing the darkness within them."

"Is that supposed to scare me?"

Goody couldn't hold back the faintest smirk. "It already does."

☘︎ *⚜*☘︎

"I need permission to leave school for a few days."

Weems glanced up from her computer and sighed when she saw Y/N standing at the door of her office, still in her uniform, with her book bag over her shoulder. She hadn't even gone back to her room to put her things away.

"Whatever for, my dear?" Weems shut her laptop and leaned back in her seat, curious as to why Y/N would make such an odd request. Lots of other students had done it, but Y/N was frightened of the outside world more often than not, and the furthest she had ever gone was the town of Jericho. But if she needed to go to Jericho, she didn't need to ask permission.

Y/N shut the door behind her and stood silently for a moment before making her way over to Weems and taking a seat opposite the headmistress. She set her bag down beside her and started to fiddle with her pendant.

"Wednesday caught me in the forest without my charm on," she said quietly. Her iron burned the pads of her fingers, but she didn't release the pendant. There was a part of her that sought the comfort of the burning that the pendant brought, and the magical cage it trapped her in. It was comfortable. It was secure. And the constant onslaught of Wednesday's thoughts were disrupting that.