XXXII. Bargains

I'm afraid the Grand Princess is not getting on that ship.

The words echoed in her head over and over again. The carriage suddenly felt too crowded, with no room for air. And she needed air. She needed to breathe because everything seemed to have come to a standstill. And he was there, just within reach, telling her...

Florence blinked a few times.

He was telling her what?

I'm afraid the Grand Princess is not getting on that ship.

She did not know how or when or what happened. One look at him and she just knew that it was over and that this was her happy ending.

The damsel was saved from distress.

But the said damsel was also a little proud and maybe a little irritated because she just realized she was left in the dark.

He must have had a plan, and he didn't tell her. He led her to believe that she was doomed. All those tears for nothing?

I'm afraid the Grand Princess is not getting on that ship.

Her jaw tightened as she looked Emory in the eyes. "Give me one good reason not to."

He blinked at her in disbelief. "You're already planning to run away."

She scoffed back, lifting a corner of her mouth. "Wrong on both regards."

His lips pursed. Cassian, Lucy, and Henry moved their heads from her to him, then back. "You cannot bear to be a third wife."

"That statement is considered a great insult in Gavaria, Your Majesty."

He moistened his lips. "You want to marry me."

"But I do not have to," she said, arching her brow. How could this man be so daft?

"You love me."

Florence stiffened. "True, but wrong answer. However, you're quite close."

He stepped forward, one hand on the frame of the carriage door. "Choose me," he said, both an order and a plea. "Like you always have."

"Are you honoring the betrothal?"

"There's none, but if you're willing to miss your ship, I'll make you queen."

Lucy finally spoke, pushing her with a force that almost sent her off her seat. "Oh, for God's sake! Go!"

"He didn't give me the right answer—"

"You can get it later," her cousin said.

"You can't leave," Cassian said.

"Lennox is not far behind," Emory said. And to Cassian, he added, "I guarantee she can leave."

"Go!" Lucy hissed.

A sense of urgency pushed her toward Emory, but sense of duty held her to her seat. "Tell me you have a plan," he told him.

For the first time in a long time, he smiled at her. And suddenly, nothing seemed to matter. Suddenly, she didn't care if he loved her or not. "I always do," he said, holding out his hand.

Her eyes stared at his hand. "Will it work?"

His smile stretched into a grin. "Who said it already didn't?"

Cassian's silence told her he knew something. He wasn't stopping her. In fact, he just stared at her, a small smile curling the corner of his lips. And that was enough for her.

Jaw tight, she stared at Emory's hand. And taking a deep breath, she took it.

And then she jumped out of the carriage.