Day 5 - Standard procedure: 8/8

Having been booted out by Chrysalis, 10013, 99380, and Smiley are sitting side by side on the beach, watching the tide reach them, tickle their hind legs, and then withdraw. They've been silently sitting there for some time, watching the sun rise and reflect off of the water. In the case of 99380 and Smiley, they're just waiting for 10013 to figure out what to do next and enjoying the warm sun before it gets too hot. 10013, obviously, is busy with the other end of the deal. However, eventually it has to admit that it probably won't figure out the best course of action alone.

"Is there anything you guys want to do? I mean, we already got Smiley a point, 20100 is busy somewhere that way," 10013 waves its foreleg in the vague direction of the slope, "and 36658 is out of reach. I'm kinda stumped here, since everyone seems to still be asleep."

Smiley pokes the approaching tide with its hoof, licks the water, and makes a face while spitting the sea water out. 10013 tries it too, and shudders:

"Eww, so salty, and in a really weird way on top of that. Definitely not like the fizzy drinks on the ship. I wouldn't absorb it if I were you, but it might be worth trying to mix with goop. What about you, 99380?"

"If you say we shouldn't drink it I believe you," the newbie shrugs.

"No, I meant if you had anything you'd like to do."

99380 pokes its hoof in the sand briefly before replying with an open smile.

"Nope! I'm happy to be around friendlies and that nothing is trying to eat me and that's enough."

"Awww, that's good to hear," 10013 pats 99380's head, "But is there really nothing you'd like to explore? One of the lectures I attended on the ship was about management, which I understood to be kinda like leadership, and the shouty minotaur stressed out that a good leader thinks about what others need to be happy and effective."

99380 scratches its head.

"I liked the talky box, it had a really friendly lady inside it. Nice tunes, too."

"That's settled then. Let's find a radio!" 10013 stands up, muzzle scrunched in determination.

Smiley and 99380 mimic its pose for a moment before looking at it.

"Umm, where?" asks 99380.

"I guess we could walk around the resort until we figure something out or see something relevant," 10013 shrugs, "It's not the best plan..."

"But?"

"Ehhh, but nothing, probably," 10013 chuckles nervously, "It's not the best plan. Period."

"Meh, I don't have a better idea," 99380 pokes the Silent, "How about you, Smiley?"

Smiley walks over to 10013 and licks its face.

*Happy face* *Saluting face*

"I guess we have our answer," 10013 sighs, "Let's follow the clueless leader! But as 36658 always says - High Score will provide a way, we just have to keep looking."

As they start strolling east along the promenade, knowing that if nothing else they'll at least explore that direction since 36658 and 99526 went the other way, 99380 nudges 10013.

"And what do you like? Leading?" it tilts its head.

"I'm not sure," 10013 taps its hoof against its chin, "I used to think that, but I kinda realized that I've been doing it only because I was the highest ranked drone after returning back to the hive, and in those days it still mattered."

"Huh? Rank doesn't matter anymore?"

"Not at all like before," 10013 shakes its head, "It used to be that surviving longer meant you were faster, smarter, and stronger than the others and you climbed ranks when the others ahead of you died. At least it was like that for us, drones, because physically there's so little difference between us that ranking doesn't make much sense. Before 387 and the Queen decided on the new rules and announced those, I heard that high ranks straight up used to kill each other to climb," it shudders.