Chapter 45 - The Union

"High politic is only common sense

applied to great things."

(Napoleon Bonaparte)

Riverdale was the smallest, the most isolated, the most distant of the Twenty-four Provinces that made up the Union of Patria; from there it took less time to get to Faria than to Mickarn

The Galath range descending from the north stretched its impervious peaks into the heart of the state, propping it up with narrow valleys, steep meadows and large lakes overflowing with fish. It was therefore certainly not the ideal environment for those famous plantations that in the South and West extended as far as the eye could see beyond the horizon, and for which the Union was famous.

This obviously didn't mean that even in Riverdale there was no opportunity of obtaining wealth and prestige, or that there wasn't an aristocratic class that administered power as elsewhere.

Among all the rich stately homes that stood here and there both within the city walls and in the surrounding countryside, the most beautiful and showy of them was certainly Medici Manor.

It had been a long time since Michael had returned home, and seeing the place where he grew up aroused in him a mixture of nostalgia and melancholy.

"My boy." said an elderly lady coming to meet him as soon as he got out of the carriage. "You're finally back."

"Good morning, old Betsy." he answered with a smile

"Look how much you've grown. It seems like only yesterday that you were a rowdy child running back and forth all over the property."

"Those were different times. I confess that I miss them."

"Me too."

"Thank you for taking care of the property in my absence. I only owe it to you if this place has remained beautiful and well-kept despite everything."

"Don't worry, it's nothing big. After all, it's thanks to you that I was able to feed my children and put a roof over their heads when our business went to ruin."

"And how are your children?"

"They are healthy and happy. Now they both have their own land and are working hard to make it prosper. I can't thank you enough for making sure they gave us that loan."

"Don't worry about it. Riverdale is not Elordia, or Felisia, or Mickarn. But it's full of good willed people, and its land can bear good fruit if it is treated with love."

The old lady smiled: "I feel like I've gone back to the times of your first speeches, when you spoke to your friends in the living room."

"And you spanked me because standing on my father's desk I got it all dirty."

"You've come a long way since then. But somehow, I always knew you were destined to go far. I could see it in your eyes and feel it in your words."

"Thank you. Now I think I'll go visit my parents."