Chapter 19

It was to this bed thatthey moved now, shy suddenly, even Henry, who was usually soself-assured. Tonight he was going to reap the rewards of hisfaithfulness, of his selfless devotion to Fanny's happiness, throughher initial indifference and the deepest despair.

Fanny sat on the bed,still in her wedding gown, a simple affair in impeccable white, shehadn't wanted anything more grand for 'just one day', she would wearone of the three London dresses tomorrow, not afraid to outshineMary, who did have a stunning white gown made.

Despite the simplicity ofher look, or maybe because of it, her innocence, her unaffectedness,Henry felt that same need to throw himself at her feet, to worshipher, and this time, he did not check himself. With his dark-hairedhead in her lap, she felt an overwhelming memory of the months theyhad spent so close together, first in great need and near despair,later in ever growing familiarity and enjoyment, and only then inmutual love.

The proof of hisconsistent love and selfless devotion to her had recommended him toher heart, until she could no longer think of life without him.Stroking his dark locks, she felt close to crying with the memoriesand her current happiness. As if he felt her state he looked up, agaze fraught with the same memories, boundless love and...passion.She felt her heart skip a beat as he slowly moved towards her, stilllooking his intense love and his growing desire.

There was no fear in herfor this night of unknown happenings, she had felt the burning oflust, and she trusted Henry with her life. There was only excitementand anticipation of what was to come. He was sitting next to her now,and he lovingly and very gently removed all the pins and flowers andbows out of her beautifully arranged hair, and carefully put themaway on the night stand. Her hair fell down, for the first time inhis presence, and he ran his hands through it with an almostworshipful touch.

His hands were so gentleand so tender, not at all like the capable hands that she had oftenseen holding the reins of a spirited stallion, or carefully guidinghis team through the traffic choked middle of London, passing on hisutter confidence to the horses, telling them to trust himunconditionally. And yet, the feeling was the same, his hands toldher to give herself up to him, to trust him in everything, and shedid. With his hands still in her hair, he kissed her, as passionatelyand as deeply as he had ever done.

Daring to allow thefeeling now, her heat rose quickly, and she was soon gasping withneed for him to touch her elsewhere, every part of her body that hadbeen kept a secret from him for so long. He unbuttoned the front ofher gown, and it fell open to reveal her corset underneath, and aglimpse of the bare skin of her breasts. He put his face in her bosomand kissed it, inhaling the scent of her newly uncovered skin.

She wanted him to removethe dress, remove the corset, but she also wanted to see his chestrevealed, she had touched it intimately several times in London, butshe had never seen it, or kissed it, or tasted it. She started on hisbuttons, and soon had the front of his shirt open, his muscular chestexposed, and she took hold of him and buried her face in the littlehairs covering it, smelling his very private scent, and revelling inthe memory of it, the ultimate cause of her falling in love with himin their time together, the feeling of safety and excitement it hadgiven her from the first time he held her.

Thoroughly aroused now,Henry helped her out of the dress, and unhooked her corset expertly,a clear sign he was not as inexperienced at this as she was. As herunblemished white skin was revealed, Henry skipped a breath or two,too awed to touch her immediately. She took the opportunity torelieve him of his shirt as well, and soon they were in each other'sarms without a stitch between them, feeling the other's warmth,mingling their smells, forgetting all passion for a moment in thiscomforting embrace.