Chapter 6

"Try again." Dylan said as I slammed to the floor. I got up and charged at him, only to end up on the floor once again. "You're really out of it today." Dylan stated, frowning down at me. I sat up, huffing at him.

"I'm surprised you don't know." I snapped, instantly regretting my tone. I wasn't exactly in the perkiest of moods, but I shouldn't be taking it out on him. He crouched down in front of me.

"Tell me what's wrong." He insisted, his eyes burning into mine and eager to understand. I never noticed how intimidating Dylan could really be until now. I studied him carefully.

"You really don't know?" I asked, watching him shake his head in response. I sighed. Maybe he really didn't know about my mom. But then again, it was Dylan we were talking about. He pretty much knew everything that happened in this school. My throat constricted, making it difficult to voice out the words.

"Maria." Someone said. Both mine and Dylan's head turned to see Jackson. "Maria is Caitlyn's mother." He said, waiting for Dylan's response.

"I had a feeling." He replied carefully, sighing.

"What?" Jackson and I snapped simultaneously, thrown off by the confession. Dylan pulled out a necklace with a round black stone from his pants pocket. My eyes grew wide as it glowed just like last time.

"That necklace!" I exclaimed, gazing up at Jackson. "From when Jackson and I met." Dylan nodded and handed it to Jackson.

"There's a reason why it only reacts to Caitlyn." Dylan explained, shrugging. "Unfortunately, I can't understand how it only reacts to Caitlyn. I was never told that part." Jackson groaned.

"God, I feel so stupid." He hissed, bringing his head into his hands. "I swear, I think there's something wrong with me."

"What?" I asked. "What happened?" He looked at me and held up the necklace.

"This originally belonged to Maria when she was alive." He clarified, the necklace gently swinging. 

"She had the same animal as you." Dylan added, resting his elbows on his bent knees.

"She left a message saying that if we find someone with the DNA of the Arctic Wolf, then give this to her." Jackson finished, giving me a knowing look. I caught the last word.

"Her." I repeated. They nodded.

"She must have known it would be you, even if she didn't have confirmation." Jackson said. "Here." He took my hand and placed the necklace on my palm. I carefully placed it around my neck, fumbling to connect the clasp. I sighed. "Let me help you." Jackson offered with a hint of a smile, finding my failure utterly amusing. He took both ends of the necklace and clipped the clasps together, allowing it to gently fall onto my throat. It held onto my neck, swinging peacefully along my chest.

"Thank you." I murmured, staring down at the necklace. 

"Jackson, why aren't you in your full transformation?" Dylan asked as he quickly switched back to teacher mode. Jackson side glanced him, his jaw clenching.

"You see...I don't..." He stuttered, having difficulty finding a good excuse. I was trying to fight back my laughter. Wow, he was terrible with on-the-spot situations.

"I want to see you transform. You should be exploring yourself and the different regions, not lounging around." Dylan said firmly, although it sounded more mocking than anything else. Jackson rolled his eyes but glared at him, nonetheless.