Week Forty-four

Week Forty-four

Thank goodness for the last week of inpatient medicine as an intern!!!!! I was not challenged in any particular way, except for realizing my need to be patient with others. I have an upperclassman (second year) who really needs a lot of help. I have been asked to help with helping her become more efficient. I don't mind and am happy to help.

However, working with her is another story. She is smart, but the common sense part is missing. I once shadowed a family doc and I asked what it took to be a good doctor and his reply was "10% book learning and 90% common sense". I believe it. You can have all the book learning in the world, but if you can't find your way out of a paper sack, what good is it? We have a couple of residents like that, who just need more common sense. Unfortunately, you can't really teach common sense. You can try, but there is a reason they aren't getting it.

My next lesson in patience came from my attending. Have you ever worked with someone who is an over-sharer? I have always considered myself someone who reveals too much, but I've met my match. My last week I second-rounded (one on one rounds with an attending for more indepth training) with a faculty member I had not worked with much. Everyone I talked to said she is great, that they wish they could round with her and that I was lucky. Most of what they said was true. Unfortunately, I must have a sign that reads: "Therapist Open...Advice 5 cents." I mean, I heard all about her life from the beginning (I mean the beginning, how she was adopted, etc.) She talked...bragged...about her kids and how smart they are, the awards they've received, and on and on. But the minute I would try to relate and talk about my kids, I got this deadpan look and the impression she really did not want to hear what I had to say, unless it was my agreement of how great her kids are. ~_~...Seriously?

It did not stop there. I heard about her sore boobs, her 5 'freebies'...you know the celeb her husband would let her cheat with, her marathon running, her issues with her adoptive mother, just about anything she could talk about. I quit trying to talk about my kids, who I think are great. I just started listening and then started talking to see if I could throw the conversation sometimes. Sometimes it was just sad. Oh...and my bonus...which she was super excited about...I get to work one on one with her for the next two weeks on OB. She said she had been waiting all year to get to work with me. I hope I haven't let her down. Oh well. This too shall pass.