Week Forty-six

Week Forty-six

Last week's writing was a bit hum-drum, wasn't it? This past week has been exciting and stressful. It started for me on Mother's Day, on which I worked a long shift, away from my kids. On the up side, I started it by delivering a baby. Nearly every day this week I've delivered a baby, it seems. Thursday and Friday I spent a bit more time with newborns, though, in order to give my fellow intern more OB experience. I enjoyed this week, finally settling into a routine where I felt like I knew what I was doing. I am getting a method down when I am delivering, finding the techniques I like. One thing I like the most is letting a woman's body do the work, rather than making her start pushing too soon. I've found the baby seems to like it too. I sit back, and when the monitor shows certain waveforms, I know the baby's head is moving down. I go into the room and usually a few minutes later, deliver a baby.

The mom's who go au naturel tend to be less predicatble. The same waveforms are there, but they are not as willing to wait for the baby to "labor down" as the mom's with epidurals are. This past week has been chock full of the mom's who aren't the listening kind. Several have been on drugs, which is heartbreaking. Then some are just plain crazy. Or cray as the folks are saying these days.

I've had my moment where my heart was in my throat and my hands were shaking, because one woman came in and was bleeding and was only 25 weeks along. It took me back to my last month on OB, when I had such a bad time of it. A little PTSD I guess. Anyway, I handled it well, and called the attending and we were able to keep her pregnant long enough to give all the medication we could to help the baby once born. That one is still alive in the NICU. Thank God!

I've been handed a couple marks I think are brag worthy. We are graded on skills with different proficiency marks, I believe I've talked about them before: Novice, Experienced Beginner, Competent, Proficient and Expert. Well, I've earned Competent in C-Sections and Proficient in vaginal delivery! This is a big deal. I expect to be graded between Beginner and Competent for vaginal, but I guess I'm getting it.

The hardest part about this week is the team work. I've been working with someone who needs a little more help. I've been trying to give it, but it is hard as we are both interns. I cannot come across as a superior to her. Everyone has been trying to help her feel more confidant. The problem is that she is unable to do her late shifts alone, so I've been having to stay to be the one on call. It is exhausting. Seventy four hours last week. It seems all I did was work, eat and sleep. I'd spend a little while with my family, but it was not enough. Again, why I do not want to go into OB. I ended this week with my youngest's ninth birthday. I was so happy to have his birthday off. We made a day of it. He got his favorite food (cheeseburgers), played with friends, and picked out his gift (a giant 'Hamster ball') he can roll around in outside. I got to just hang out with those I love the most. It was great!