Week Forty-seven

Week Forty-seven: Night float

This week is the one I kind of dreaded, after my last week on nights in OB. This last week was not as bad as it could be, yet still held enough challenges I got my education in. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting as good or better an OB education as are my peers who decided to specialize in this field. I had the pleasure of instructing my instructor on how to do a vacuum assisted delivery with a device called a Kiwi. He knows other devices and forceps, but the Kiwi is what I used. The baby was a "good baby" meaning he came out looking well, despite some concerning things during delivery that caused us to choose to expedite his arrival. He is a lucky baby, had a triple nuchal cord (umbilical cord wrapped around his neck three times) AND a true knot. These are things that can kill a baby, but he did well.

The next night got hairy again. Had a patient with abruptio placenta, where the placenta separates from the uterus before she is in labor. This was a scary one, as it can cost both mom and baby their lives. We went to c-section shortly after and again delivered a "good baby", actually the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. Mom was pretty sick afterwards, but recovered well enough to go home a few days later. SCARY!

The week continued with me seeing patients in triage and delivering babies. I think I've beleaguered my opinion on how our triage and emergency room are used, haven't I? Well, I'll do it again, on the off chance it might make an impact. Your vaginal discharge and your concern about whether you have an STD are NOT emergencies. And it is not appropriate use of the emergency room for your yeast infection just because you have a job. Don't think I don't appreciate the fact that you have a job, but you can try to take an hour off or be seen sometime during your provider's office hours. And don't come in telling me your doctor doesn't care about your constipation when you show up at 130 AM, then tell me you actually never talked to YOUR doctor about the issue, only the on call folks. Really? You had an appointment the day before, and your ten days of constipation "slipped your mind" at the office visit? Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I know it is a big deal if you are leaking stuff from your Vijayjay, but I only want to see it if you are bleeding profusely, think your water is broken or think there is a baby coming out. Otherwise, save the nasty discharge for the office. Better yet, stay away from the dudes who like to share nasty discharge, especially if you know where you got it. Ok, I feel better.