The Betrayed

08/08/09 – no one cares !

“Wait! What do you mean it’s Roz?!” I asked, no longer worried about the idea of the cells being bugged. My stomach was churning at the thought of what she might be doing and how this might eventually turn out.

Before Joe could respond, a pre-recorded message came over the system, drowning out the noises of the guards and of the security alarms itself. The voice was unmistakably that of Rosaline Harman.

“Operation Black Widow began on the twelfth of September 1989 with the birth of a baby girl. It was intended to be the first in many of deadly secret agents who could distance themselves from the inconveniences of human emotion to serve the country in preventing the escape of some of the worst convicts the justice system had ever seen. She was born Rosaline Kate Harman and she was Operation Black Widow. Trained and tested from her early days she was a weapon, trained to hunt and kill any target. It was only after eight bloody massacres that the operation was deemed too dangerous a risk to repeat again; she had exceeded expectations on a darker scale than anyone imagined. Working with a secret government agency, she tracked and apprehended anyone she was told to, right up until the murder of her own parents and her official death. The operation officially ended on the twenty-third of December 2006, but unofficially, you’ve been pissing her off since then and now it’s time for you to see Operation Black Widow at her finest hour. Warning, it’s going to hurt like hell.”

I had to laugh at the dark tone of her speech. She was definitely angry and I could tell anyone who doubted her that she was a force to be reckoned with once she started to see red. Her words alone had the adrenaline pumping through my body and I could hear other agents now riling themselves up at the sound of their leader’s voice, shouting back against the guards.

“Well, that’s certainly one way to answer their question about Operation Black Widow.” Joe laughed, even whooping for a moment. It was almost like we had found a new lease of life in Roz’s words, reading between the lines to understand exactly what she was capable of and what she would do when she was here. I just hoped that Joe was right and that this was the explosion of her finest hour and not just Roz running head first into something with her guns and fists at the ready, asking to get herself hurt again. I felt foolish for even thinking that when I could hear that she had a plan and that she meant business.

The commotion in the hallway grew louder and then silence fell for a short moment. “Uh, I’d stand back if I were you, Russell.” Joe seemed to be aware of something that I wasn’t, but I took his advice, backing up into the corner and keeping my eyes fixed on the door as I listened to the quiet fumbling on the other side. There was a hissing noise, but before I could question it the deafening bang came and the bright flash of light and when my vision came back with only the scampering of black spots, I could see that the heavy door was now hanging precariously by its bottom hinge only.

I heard the sound of two shots being fired and then I crept cautiously towards the useless door.

“You certainly know how to make an entrance, Rozzie.” I glanced towards Joe’s voice and saw the dark assassin hanging in mid-air. It seemed like she had blown all of the cell doors at once and now our agents were creeping forward to see if it was too good to be true. My lips twitched into a happy smile when I saw that she was alright, unclipping herself from the harness and elegantly dropping to the floor.

“I thought I would give them time to run. I guess it’s just a shame I’ve blocked the exits.” She smirked and then turned to look at me, that smirk growing into a little smile for just a moment before reverting back again. “You look surprised, Russ. Didn’t Joe tell you I do these things on occasion?”

“Oh, he told me, but I didn’t think it was on this grand a scale.” I replied with a laugh as I looked at the damaged hallway that had been so securely monitored for days now. The two guards were dead on the floor and the rubble and smoke still lingered. “I have never been so happy to see you, Roz.”