IAA III

"Oh! Look who's talking!", I stuck my tongue out.

"I hate you.", she said with a glare.

"I hate you too.", I stated.

Chuckling, "Will you not fight in front of me?", Bub interrupted, that made Lyra and I knew he was there. "I think you must go now.".

"Yeah, I think so too.", I said.

"Thank you very much for the help.", he answered.

"Sure. Anytime.", I replied, "Then we'll be going now.". I held Lyra's hand and we went out of the hospital. Because it was already late, we didn't have time to celebrate my birthday. "I'll take you home.", I offered.

She nodded. Then, I escorted her to ride a yellow cab. "I'm happy that you helped Bub.", she said, "Though, in exchange, we don't get to celebrate your birthday where you'll be the one to pay the bills.".

"What? You're thinking, I would pay the bills from the moment you mentioned you want to celebrate my birthday?", I cried, "Then, I'm glad it won't be happening.".

"You... really... are stingy.", she murmured, "Anyway, you're right, it won't be happening.".

"Psshh.". I continued to rest my head on her shoulder and started a serious talk. "I just did what is right and that is to help Bub.", I clarified, "And of course, I don't want to get scolded by your parents for bringing you home in the middle of the night because I'm sure, afterwards, we'll be told to break up. And I don't want that to happen.".

"I'm not against you on helping Bub.", she said, "In fact, I was happy that you get to help other people since I'm the 'goddess of assistance'.".

"Oh, yeah! That's right.", I exclaimed and got my head up. "So... 'goddess of assistance', what reward will I get?".

"Sorry but there'll be no reward.", she said, "For I believe that it is better to give than to receive. And helping is a form of giving.". The cab stopped. "So goodbye little creature!", she went off with a big smile on her face which made me smile too, because I knew she meant 'happy birthday'.

I led the cab to my house. I went off as soon as I got there for I knew mom was worried since it was past seven in the evening. I was about to open the door when I heard a familiar voice from the other side. "Your plan failed, Martha.". By his voice and words, I identified it was Sam. "Now, you need to fulfill the contract you made with father. So I'll be expecting Zel tomorrow!", he said. Then, I heard footsteps nearing the door which made me panic and jump over the bush beside the walkway to our house, and hid myself there.

The moment Sam left, I proceeded to go inside my house. I pretended that I didn't hear the conversation Sam and mother had but before I could lie down my bed and sleep, my curiosity attacked. "What was the contract all about, mom?", I asked mother who was about to leave my room. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overhear your discussion but will you please tell me the details?", I explained, "Since I think I am involved with it.".

Mom was surprised. All of a sudden, "Who mentioned that today is your sixteenth birthday, Zel?", she asked, ignoring my questions. I told her it was Lyra. "I knew it. I should have told her about your situation.", she mumbled.

"Mom...".

"Oh, Zel. There's no need for you to know about it.", she assured, "I can take care of it alone.". While smiling, "Just promise me you won't let yourself get hurt. Promise me, okay?", she asked.

I nodded. "Yes, I promise.".

"Okay, then, go to sleep already.", she demanded. I did sleep after hearing her statement.

I was awaken by my alarm clock instead of my mother. As I was turning my alarm clock off, I touched something on the sidetable – a piece of paper. I flipped it open and saw it was a letter from mom.

I am sorry, I had to leave you alone this morning. I just need to take care of the contract you overheard about. I'll be home by sunset. Love, mom.

I kept the letter and got myself ready for school. I yanked the door of our house open when a guy in tattered clothes came barging in. "I need you to come with me!", he said, wanting to grab my wrist. I evaded his attempts which made him become more aggressive.

I was shocked when the guy intruded but I became frightened when the guy suddenly stretched his neck endlessly, trying to crunch into my arm. Fortunately, I was able to avoid his mouth though I was in panic. I ran to the back of our house where another door was located but I wasn't able to reach it for the head of the guy kept following me, only his head. Unluckily, I ran out of places to go to and I was cornered by his head. I didn't have weapons to fight him with so I closed my eyes, thinking I was just dreaming again.

He roared, indicating he was ready to gobble up my neck and I thought, What is happening?. Then, I heard a slashing sound and I felt liquid splatter on my face.

I opened my eyes. I looked down and saw the guy's head, his head not connected to his neck. I turned to the guy who was carrying a rapier and it was Bub. "Are you hurt?", he asked. I shook my head. "I'm glad I wasn't late.".

"Uh-huh. Thanks.", I replied. I wiped my face with the towel I would be carrying for school and I was stunned when I saw black spots on the towel that smelled like blood. I washed my face again and threw the towel away. "Am I dreaming?", I wondered.

"You're not, Zel.", Bub answered. He handed me a blade and said, "Here, save yourself from the demons.".

I accepted the blade. "What do you mean, 'demons'?", I asked, "And what are you, a soldier?".

"That is a demon. A Man-eater, specifically.", he answered, "The guys who persecuted me yesterday, they are demons too. There are many other kinds of demons, and you'll be encountering them in a while.".

"What? In a while, you say? I'll be attacked again?", I questioned.

"Yes. Definitely.", he said. "And to answer your question earlier, I am what you are.". I made a puzzled face since I didn't know what he was talking about. "Tell me, Zel, what are you?".

I looked at myself in the mirror and answered Bub, "I'm a human.".

"Yes, because that is your current state.", he uttered, "But look at this.", he tapped the bottom right corner of the mirror. I was astonished when his reflection turned to a fly, a fierce-faced fly. "I am Beelzebub, a demon, his son.".

I turned to see mine. There, I saw a fierce face of a goat and a beast. "No way.", I muttered while shaking my head, as I came to remember my dream. I looked back once, and I saw the source of the wreckage – a black half-goat half-beast demon with malefic wings, spitting fire from its mouth continuously. "I killed them?! Her?!".