Chapter 1

ALAYNA

"You must never enter Master Brandon's bedroom, nor his study. He's not a very patient man. He allows no one in his room. You can do whatever you want in the house, but never go inside his personal space unless you are permitted to do so. Do you understand?" Madam Lennie warns. It is clear in her pale, cerulean eyes how serious she is.

The hair of the head housemaid is ash-colored and seems as if it has been tied in a bun forever. She has a strong countenance and stands about five-feet-five-inches tall. I guess she is in her late fifties.

"I understand, Madam." I gulp and respond with a nod.

I always research with my job interviews so I know a little about the Master. He's twenty-eight, a self-made billionaire, and the sole owner and Chairman of Grethe and Elga Enterprises. A telecommunications and electronic consumer company headquartered in Manhattan.

But his family background, where he graduated, and his face are all a mystery. No single soul has seen him in person. He never shows up anywhere public, and never attends any important events. I can't help but wonder why.

Does he have a disease? Allergic to sunrise? A vampire? I want to know.

"Um, Madam? I just want to ask..."

"Yes, Miss Hart," she prompts, acknowledging the hesitation in my voice. We stop in the middle of a long stairway.

"Does he really not come out? The Master?"

She turns to meet my gaze. "One more thing," she says, "that is the last time you will ask me that."

Was that a yes? I swallow again.

As we continue to the curvature of the staircase, I can't help but admire the mansion's grandeur. I didn't know mansions still exist in New York City, but that's not so surprising if you walk to the posh end of the Upper East Side.

The house's little passé Greek structure enchants me; although the house is undeniably ancient, modernity is still present. The chandeliers are illuminating the hall, and the floors are so clean as if no single speck of dirt has ever touched it. Yet, I can't miss the dark gray draperies covering the tall windows, as if it's there to prevent light from coming in. And the surroundings' silence is deafening—making it lonely and empty.

However, the walls display treasure art pieces and oil canvases. I lean close to one—a beautiful scene of a soaring pine tree in winter land. But what got my attention the most is the portrait of a handsome young man hanging at the center. He has dark hair, chiseled jaws, piercing gray eyes, a perfectly-aligned nose, mouth made for kissing, but an utterly stoic expression.

"Madam, who's he?" I mumble.

She spins and throws me a warning look, but doesn't answer. After a long walk, we stop in front of a hand-carved wooden door on the second floor. Madam Lennie draws out a bunch of keys from her pocket and chooses one.

"The Master wants you to use this room. You're fortunate. The rooms in this passage are for the guests," she says as she unlocks the door and hands me a key. "Here's your duplicate," she explains. Her expression is still blank.

Does she even know how to smile?

"Thanks, Madam. I'll just settle my things inside." I smile, wondering if she would smile back. Predictably, she didn't.

"Your job starts tomorrow, but I'll meet you in the living room in one hour. I'll give you a house tour."

"Of course. Thank you, Madam." I smile then opens the door.