Chapter 2

ALAYNA

I woke up earlier than my alarm this morning. Heck, I barely even slept, having all these unexplainable emotions churning inside me. And my habit of waking up at dawn for as long as I could remember added up to my incomprehensible anxiety attacks.

Nonetheless, I can't decide if I'm excited or just nervous because I'm sure that work wouldn't be easy for the next twelve months. I lazily swing my legs out of the bed and step into the bathroom.

After a shower, I put on a regular, white chef uniform, and fix my hair. Shortly, I go to the kitchen and glad I arrived a few minutes earlier than Sir Oliver, remembering Madam Lennie's rules about being on time.

"Good morning, Alayna." He immediately puts on an apron when he walks in. "Are you ready?"

"Good morning, sir. Yes, I'm ready!" I reply heartily.

He draws out a sheet of paper from the wall and hands it to me. It's a copy of the meal schedule and the list of dishes he spoke about yesterday. It says breakfast is at seven, twelve noon for lunch, and seven for dinner. Today is Tuesday, so the breakfast Elipsiomo bread and Kagianas—a scrambled egg dish with tomatoes and topped with feta. I assist Sir Oliver in preparing the dish.

The dish is easy to prepare and two or more people working in the kitchen are always better.

"We might as well give Brandon a cup of English Breakfast. He likes tea very much," he advises after we finish. He takes out a teacup from the cupboard then pours brewed tea from the kettle. Then, he transfers the food I cooked onto a plate and sets it with a garnish.

"Preparing for the Master's meal is like serving an important restaurant guest," he says and lifts the plates then transfers it onto a food trolley. "You're quite fast in the kitchen."

"Maybe because egg dishes are one of my specialties," I say proudly.

"Great, because our master is fond of it." He grins. "One, in particular, is Eggs Benedict—which is his breakfast tomorrow."

Alright, I guess this really isn't so hard after all. Sir Oliver can be very quiet when he started working after all; which I utterly prefer, but most importantly, he's very kind

"Oh, I'll take note of that. So, um, I'll clean up here first and I'll start to organize the ingredients for the Master's lunch."

"Of course," he agrees. "But after this, I suggest you visit the library upstairs."

"I'm allowed?"

"Sure. I shelved recipe books there, you can borrow it. And oh, there's fiction as well."

"Perfect! I would love to see it."

"I'll better take this to Brandon, then I'll come after you."

"You will?" I ask in surprise but taken aback with my own words. "Sorry."

"Of course. I'll show you around. You can say that it's a part of your orientation. From me," he says kindly with a smile. Honestly, I imagined Sir Oliver as a stern, intimidating, more like the CEO kind of person—if that's a thing, but he is so kind, I can speak to him so casually.

I smile again. "Thanks again, sir."

"You're very welcome. And oh, it's not that it's forbidden to go there. Brandon uses it sometimes, so make sure Lennie won't see you. But just in case... tell her I permitted you."

Sounds like a dangerous offer, but I would love to see the library. I watch Sir Oliver push the trolley outside.

After cleaning, I walk to the third floor and reach the library. I turn the knob and grin when I find that it is open. I breathe in awe as thousands of books appear before my eyes. It's so beautiful! The library is polished with a granite fireplace and a profoundly comforting living room set.