Chapter 23

ALAYNA

I come out of the room for a bit after our little dinner, then when I return later, Brandon is now sitting on his bed with his legs crossed while holding his iPad. I realize that he changed the bed covers as well.

He smiles at me. "I just thought it might be comfortable for you if I change the covers."

"Are we going to sleep now?" I ask. It's kind of early, and I still want to spend more time with him with my conscious mind.

He puts his iPad down. "Would you like to?"

I move closer to him and run a finger over his bedsheets. "Not yet."

"Good." He steps off the bed and takes my hand. "Come, I want to show you something."

Wondering where he's going, I just let him take me. We walk back to his living room and open another door I didn't notice before.

I frown. Just how many secret doors does he have? It doesn't look like a door at first. It seems more like a part of the wall mural.

I can feel his hand tightening around mine as he fires up the room's lights. My jaw drops when a peculiar place flashes before my eyes.

A wall made of tinted glass is filled with large monitors and computers. Each computer facing each other, with at least ten workstations. Bright, neon green lights illuminated the mainframe. I'd never know anything about computers, but this is definitely not just a regular office, but then, one particular room chills down my spine.

I see one side of the wall-like a window. It's another room. A white room. My whole body quivers as I see the same telephone, the desk, and the chair...

I gulp hard. "Gee, Brandon. You could really see me in there."

His expression hardens. "Yes..."

"Why are you suddenly showing me this?" I ask, but can't take my eyes off the strange view.

I hear his breath quicken and feel his anxiety in his sweaty palms. He's nervous, but he's trying.

"I wanted to show you how I was before I met you," he confesses.

"Before?"

"I never want to use it again after you," he whispers, his voice tortured and vulnerable.

"Is that why you suddenly stopped answering the phone?"

He nods. "You've changed me."

I blow out a sharp breath. I don't know what to say. The tension around us is damn unfathomable. It must be so hard for him to show this to me.

I clear my throat and decide to lighten up the atmosphere. "What are those computers for? The big monitors? Is this where you work?"

"This is the prototype of the company's mainframe," he explains. "Ollie and I built this ourselves. Some monitors are for the CCTVs, but it isn't just to spy people. I wanted to see if someone is going to break in." He turns and gazes at me. "You see, Alayna. I'm paranoid. I want you to know at least this part of me."

"Alright, I get it now." I smile slightly. "Did you do all of this because of what happened to your family?"

"I don't want it to happen again."

"But why are they shut down now?"

"I'm not using this room anymore, Alayna. But you should know that this was the only place I know I'm safe." His body faces me and cups my face. I can see the agony on his expression. "When you came into my life, I started to view things differently. I want to live a normal life again."