44 ~ Sour as Vinegar

a/n: clearly the time between when i published parts is getting to me, because i swear to God that ch 43 was the first time Ben said 'i love you' to Lottie. he said it before in ch 36 while they were kissing, but she couldn't hear it bc he didn't say it clearly. and then in ch 38, he said it but she'd fallen asleep. ...but in ch 40 the cake had 'i love you' in icing, that's right. but he has never said it, right? no he didn't, i checked. 

Chapter 44: Sour as Vinegar

"You know, Benny, I have a question," Lottie said. Even after what had just happened, she still wanted to get her food, so I was following her through Safeway while she picked out everything she needed.

"Yes?"

"How did you hear all that stuff I said to Rick?" she asked, turning to look at me. Her eyebrows furrowed. "Were you already there?"

I frowned when I realised what she was thinking. "I wasn't just watching you get hit, Lottie. I heard the screaming, so I ran up and got there as he tried to hit you again."

She smiled and took my hand, giving it a squeeze. I covered it with my other hand and saw her face flush a little bit, which made me inwardly grin. "Okay," she said, visibly relaxing. "I just-"

"I know," I said. "You texted me about shopping, so I was coming to meet you." I rolled my eyes. "I'm not stupid enough to just watch that piece of shit lay his filthy hand on you." Thinking about it made me shake with anger all over again. He fucking slapped Lottie, why was he not dead?

Lottie laughed. Noticing me starting to shake again, she kissed my knuckle as if I was a princess. "But you're a little stupid, right?" she teased.

She stopped in front of the cereal aisle, which gave me the opportunity to examine her face. She seemed perfectly okay, but she always did that when she was upset. I could see that his slap had irritated her face, and her cheek was red. I breathed in and out, trying to calm myself down enough so that I wouldn't stop back out to the bus stop and beat the life out of that stupid piece of shit.

Rick Bienvenue. Ugh, maybe he was rich, but his ugly mug showed both on the outside and the inside. I never wanted him near Lottie again, and if I ever saw him again, I don't think even Lottie could pull me back.

Well, to be honest, she probably could, but that was besides the point.

I slung my arm around Lottie's shoulders and scooted closer to her while she debated between Frosted Flakes and Cocoa Krispies. "If you ever see that motherfucker again, put aside your stupid morals and kick him in the wanker again," I said.

"My stupid morals?" she repeated, amused. "Don't worry, Benny, he probably won't bother me again in fear that you'll rip off his face."

"Okay...gross, but true."

"What do we do about him?"

I pursed my lips. "What can we do? Anything we try, his precious daddy will just bail him out." Rick Bienvenue Senior, CEO of Bienvenue Oil. A face everybody in England knew. Untouchable.

Lottie chose the Cocoa Krispies. "He used to not be like this. He was okay. Not great, kind of arrogant, but he couldn't even hurt a fly. I haven't seen him since his accident, though, so I can't say what that did to him."

I shook my head. "Whatever, he's a prick, and he deserves my fist in his face."

"It's okay, Ben," Lottie said vaguely, strolling down the aisle. "Not everything bad that happens needs revenge. I'm just going to leave it."