Chapter 3

"Connor? Connor O'Shea? Jake's old best friend?" This can’t be happening. He can’t be back. I've worked so hard to forget him and now he's back. 

"Of course that Connor! What other Connor do you know?" Molly asked.

"Well there was that one in college...”

"Oh get technical. Anyways he's coming back sometime this weekend. I’m not sure when. Scott didn’t really say, you should ask Jake he would know!"

"Yes, I'll go ask my brother when his best friend, who I've had a crush on for years, comes back to town. Good idea genius." I said.

"I was just trying to help! Sheesh your cranky today. I got to get going for my date tonight with the hubby. See you later and don’t forget to call if you need any questions or emergencies." she said as she walked to grab her purse.

"I know the drill. Don’t worry, go have fun with Scott. You deserve it every once in a while."

"Thanks Hun, it wouldn’t hurt to take your own advice." And with that she walked out the door.

I hear a giggle from behind me and turn around to see a smiling Lucy. She really is adorable; she has her mother’s hazel eyes and Scotts blond hair. I tried to wear Lucy out by playing with her for an hour or two. By the time Molly and Scott got home, Lucy was fast asleep. I quickly say goodbye and head home. When I pull into the driveway I see a moving truck in front of my neighbor’s house. No one's lived there for years; I wonder who my new neighbors are. I walk toward my house to let my dog out to go to the bathroom.  I hear a loud noise from outside. I walk to the door to see my mother shouting at my dog for no reason. She was obviously drunk. I can tell tonight was going to be a bad night. 

"Mom please goes inside." I said calmly. I know the drill. You have to treat her like a three year old if you want her to listen to you.

"Go away you useless child!" And with that she slapped me. I couldn’t help but stumble backwards.

"Please mom, can we not do this here." I looked around and of course, we were drawing a crowd. 

"Shut up you stupid whore! You're useless. You and your rotten brothers. Your father just had to have children. I would've been better off without you."

"Mom, please not now. We can talk about this inside. Just please come inside." I pleaded.

"Oh don’t talk to me like imp a child." Well, I guess it doesn’t always work when you talk to her like a three year old. She slapped me again and I definitely fell down this time. 

Someone helped me up and when I looked to see who it was, I met eyes with none other than Connor O'Shea.

“Hello Mrs. Douglas. Nice to see you again." Connor told my mom. He gave her a sharp, but calm look.

"Well if it isn’t the famous Connor O'Shea. I knew you'd come back." She puked right on my shoes. 

I lifted her arm around my neck and tried to carry her to the house. It was more like dragging her toward the house. All of a sudden the weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I turn around to see Connor carrying her into the house. He carries her up to her room and puts her on the bed. 

"Thank you Connor, you can make yourself at home. I have to go clean her up now." He turns around and walks toward the door. When he reaches the door he turns around to look at me taking care of my mother. He walks out of the room and leaves me to change her clothes and wash her face.

Once I've finished, I make my way downstairs where I hear the coffee pot going. I walk in the kitchen to see two cups of coffee filled and Connor sitting at the counter looking pissed about god knows what. He looks up once I walk in and his expression softens. He walks toward me and places his hand one my cheek. I wines, there must be a bruise forming.

"Nell are you alright? I'm sorry I couldn’t help sooner. I didn’t know what was going on. I heard you still lived in this old house but I didn’t know your mom was still like that." he said.

"Connor its fine, don't worry about it. Thank you for coming when you did."

"Of course I would.  You’re like a sister to me. I'll always be there for you." Of course, he said the words I dreaded. He thinks of me as a sister, nothing more. 

"Anyways, so you’re my new neighbor?" I asked.

"Looks that way." He smiled. A true smile. Dimples and everything. And for once in a long time, I felt like everything was going to be alright.

**Sorry i didnt upload in soo long! Schools been crazy. Well i hope this was good, Comment or fan(: i'll try to upload again tonight or tomorrow!