Chapter 4, Part 3 - Rangers Lead the Way

After the engagement, an hour-long mortar barrage was called in by Captain Killbride on the mile-wide tree line where the Taliban retreated and the snipers hid. Whistles of mortar rounds passed in the air, obliterating whatever was on the other side, in which Dagger 2 were to check later in a body counting operation. Clean the area first with mortars, and then infantry would come in and conduct mop-up operations and intelligence gathering.

Dagger 2 took two light wounded and one dead. Third Squad, known as Dagger 23, was to guard the platoon’s humvees, while the rest would continue patrol. One humvee was used to transport the company’s casualties, which was now 2 dead and 12 wounded. 8 were wounded from the engagement while the other 4 men were wounded and 1 was killed when the roadside bomb hit Dagger 4. All deaths came from Dagger 2 and 4, in which Private First Class Kelly was one of them.

In the first 15 minutes of the barrage Captain Killbride went to summon the platoon leaders. After a short briefing, Daggers 1 and 2 were to conduct mop-up operations on the forest and hills the mortars were firing upon. Intel also showed that there was a hidden Taliban base somewhere in that area that was heavily disturbing the region’s NATO/ISAF Operations.

Captain Killbride explained that Dagger Two and Dagger One were to advance forward to find that base and destroy it, while Dagger Four and Captain Killbride’s staff were to become supporting elements. Dagger Two were to search the southern part of the valley, and Dagger One the northern part. Operations were to begin at 1500 Hours.

Intel indicated that the Taliban base had a large possibility to be in the southern part, and from that moment on, I knew, I was f*cked. With only two platoons and a faraway QRF, was this a suicide mission? I remembered my recent clash with the captain. Does he want me dead? – Salvade in his War Memoir.

***

The Platoon leaders turned around at the dismissal and headed back to their platoons. Rick was on his way turning around, but just before his other boot stepped on the ground, Captain Killbride called his name. “Lieutenant Salvade.”

Rick turned around to face the captain, helmet already on his head and M4 slung on his shoulder. “Sir?”

The captain took several steps closer. “About earlier, Rick.” He said staunchly, trying to talk with the familiarity of an uncle and commanding as West Point grads should be. “I’m just telling you that even though my maneuvers had flaws, we took minimum casualties. It’s my company and my orders, Rick, no matter how much your experience. Hansbruck is much more experienced than you and he never says a goddamn word about anything.” That’s because he’s a lick-ass, sir. Rick wanted to say, but he stayed silent instead. Hansbruck was the Company First Sergeant.

“Now since you’re a much better commander than I am, I’ve given you the harder task. Prove yourself, lieutenant. Maybe you’re a good soldier, but are you a good officer?” Killbride pat the man’s shoulder. “Clear that southern valley for us, and I’m sure instant promotion will come for you.”

Rick suddenly felt guilty because of saying such senseless things on the radio, to a man who actually wants to help in his career advancement. So with all the grudges in his head and heart, he said- “Sorry, sir.”

“Sorry?” Killbride asked.

“Sorry about earlier, sir. Didn’t mean to do that over company radio, sir. Should’ve kept my thoughts in mind.”

“You were right, Rick. We could’ve advanced without the mortars, but the ‘die is cast’. We were off the humvees, and going back to the humvees was suicide anyway.” He continued “But you know, if you find that base and take it out, the name’s gonna be on us and all of Delta Company. When you find that base and take it out, all the lives that have been and would be lost won’t matter. You just have to sweep and take it out. Are we clear?”