••• Eleven •••

"So that's your proposal?" I question, grabbing the cup of coffee as the machine finishes.

Settling myself onto a stool beside his, I watch as his fingers hold his cup, how they curl around, how his eyes watch me. "Why, does it sound bad?"

"It sounds suspicious," I reply, taking a sip of the hot coffee. Nixon crosses his arms as he leans back against the counter, watching me, his stare cold, telling me he's been deep in thought. "I mean, if I go and tell my parents I just quit my job to go and work at the house of a man who just needs it to be cleaned while he is away for the rest of the year, it just seems out of line for my character."

Nixon cocks his head to the side, leaning in closer as I feel my legs shut tightly. I'm barely in anything but his shirt from last night, only three out of the many buttons done, and his eyes will dip every now and then down to the valley. "If we want more time together without those 'study group' excuses, then something has to be pulled off."

I sigh, running a hand through my tangled hair, the sun barely rising as the warmth hits my face. "I've just lied to them so much," I explain, looking into his eyes.

I don't know how I've come to be calm around him when I learned that he was a monster, when he bit into me, when he claimed me as his. "But is it worth it, to lie, to be here?"

I can hear anger in his voice, anger that lets me know he's becoming possessive. Shaking my head, I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him close as I hear him groan. "I really enjoy spending time with you," I whisper against his ear, feeling him grow excited from underneath.

Pulling away, I see his eyes have turned from black to that beautiful and mysterious color of midnight blue. "Play piano for me, Lily."

I'm happy to oblige as I make my way across the kitchen and into the piano room, setting myself upon the bench.
Nixon sits beside me, watching as my fingers rest on the keys.

Instantly, I let my body be controlled by the music as my fingers move up and down, all across the instrument as the sound that comes from it is one of beauty. My body moves to the flow of the music, every now and then the tone becoming harsh as my fingers have a tougher arch and I begin my attack.

As I continue the piece, an arm is snaked around my waist and a face buried in my neck, taking in my scent as the mark begins to heat up.

God, I hate the way that scar responds to him sometimes.

Finished with the song, I feel his hands run through my hair. "So, what do you say about the job?"

I lean my head back, looking up at the ceiling as I decide what to do.

"I'll tell them when I go home, saying I saw an ad at the restaurant and the job has better pay and hours."

Nixon pulls away, cupping my chin as he offers me a smile. "Good girl."

"Just think about it, it's a good deal. Besides, in the time I'm there, I can also get in some study time rather than wait tables and have no time to study anyway," I explain as my mother takes the plates off the table. My dad looks at me, inspecting me as Taylor just stays silent.

She's been like that for weeks, silent and like a ghost. Her eyes have become dull, bags under them, and hardly eats as much. I know why, I know the secret she doesn't want to tell anyone. Yet I can't tell her the secret I hold. I hold her secret because she wants to stay out of the light as a girl who was used and should be pitied. I want to stay out of the light because it's a sin. A sin I'm starting to want every day now.

"So this guy is some neurosurgeon whose summer house needs to be cleaned. He need it to be upheld as he's away and will pay more of what you make? Lily, you just got that job, you don't want to upset them."