Today's News

Two years later, when I was almost twenty one, everyone had seemed to forget about the sun, and that got me confused. Why build rockets if nothing is going to happen?

Asphero has a girlfriend, Wrendivet, and I had a boyfriend, Hegmin. I couldn't really move on after Sandrayik, but I had to. Otherwise, the government would surely be after me again.

I remember one day, we were all sitting around the table, eating breakfast, and the news came on. This time, it was new. It wasn't from seven years ago.

They talked about it; the sun, the rockets, what would be happening in the next few months.

"The sun is going to burn out", the familiar lady spoke with no sense of sadness or confusion. She must know everything. "We have built and prepared rockets, and we will be leaving in a few months. We will tell you more when we have more information.  Have a good day!" The hologram clicked off, and we all stopped eating. It was happening. Just when we thought it was all over, we had to get ready to leave.

That day I got together with Hegmin at his house. We sat in his room so we could have a private talk.

"What's going to happen to us?" I asked him.

"We can live up there. Together. Start a family when we're both ready."

"But how are we going to live?"

"Mia, you need to stop worrying. Everything will be fine. You seem like you know more about this then anyone else."

I tensed. What a weird thing to say.

"I only know what was said to us today." I decided I needed to know what side he was on. I smiled, "I also know that I love you." 

"Yeah?"

I answered his question with a passionate kiss, and brought my hands to hold the back of his neck. I wasn't sure if I felt anything, so I kissed behind his ear. Sure enough, I found a switch. He wasn't on my side. He was sent by the government to monitor what I was doing. If he was, so was Wrendivet.

I told him I had to go see my brother, an excuse I used all the time. Good thing I love my family and I don't care who knows. When I got home, Asphero was with Wrendivet, but I needed to talk to him. He was the only one home, so I decided I needed to use desperate measures. I got out a knife and a piece of bread. I cut the bread a quarter of the way, and then cut my finger. I screamed in pain and Asphero quickly came to my rescue.

"I know you like doing things the old fashioned way, but we have a bread cutter for a reason."

He got a cloth and bandage and started to clean my wound. I spoke in low whispers.

"Hegmin was sent by the government to monitor me. You need to check if Wrendivet is, too."

"How do I do that?" he whispered back in return.

"Tell her you love her, kiss her, see if there is a switch behind her ear."

He bandaged my wound. "And what are you going to do?"

I looked up from my wound and looked him in the eye. "I have an errand to run."

He nodded his head and left, leaving me to go do my errand.

I didn't actually have an errand to do, so I started packing. We were going to leave soon. They said in a few months, but they were probably lying about that, too. My guess was we only had a month, maximum. After packing a bit, I went back over to Hegmin's. I decided to surprise him, which was probably the best option because when I got there, he was making out with another girl.

I gasped and yelled his name, spilling profanities every few words. I slapped him and left thinking, 'This is for Sandrayik.'

He was only dating me because he needed to, not because he wanted to. Figures he had another girl.

A few days later, Asphero wanted to break up with Wrendivet, but I advised him he shouldn't. I had a valid reason, and it was all on a memory chip. Him, on the other hand, had no reason at all. It would look too suspicious.

He spent less and less time with her until she finally ended it a week later. The day after that, she was killed. She didn't do what they asked, so she got booted.

To this day, I still have a scar on my index finger.