Chapter ~ 14

~ Chapter 14: Why Didn't the Dress Just Eat Me? ~

So, I had a bit of a surprise waiting for me when I got home yesterday – actually I had more than one. After hanging on for dear life to Cai's neck – yes, he enjoyed every bit of it with his chuckles – and riding The Vixen back to Legend, I ran into Mandy, Filly, and Eaton – all of whom were waiting for me at the depot in Stormchaser. After catching up – them super excited about me having a black dragon and Cai soaking up the praise like a solar-panel soaks up sunrays – I met Eaton's fiancé, Astrid Mink, a short, beautiful brunette with bright greens eyes and a very happy smile to give a soft glow to her small face. And then the biggest surprise happened.

My mom, and three of my sisters, walked into my cabin late that night while Filly and I were still talking – the little grey egg cuddled up on the couch is a big and happy accomplishment for Filly and she continued to run her fingers over the shell, smiling fondly.

Of course Mom nearly gave both of us a heart attack with how she barged in.

So, surprise number three: Carma's getting married... in Legend!

Yay!!!

No...

So, there's the news. And now I get to recline and watch as Legend slowly fills up with everyone and their uncle for this wedding.

The media is having a hay-day with it: Vampire Crown Prince Carter King Marries Non-existent Burrows Girl! If only they knew that she's the oldest grand-daughter of the queen. Actually, never mind. It's a good think they don't know that. I'm just fine with my five years of freedom right now I don't need – nor want – paparazzi following my life.

Of course, every time I try to get by myself with Mom she finds something that involves work and no talking, so I haven't been given any time to question her about anything.

Why is the wedding happening in Legend?

No idea.

Its fall break, I could go home for this wedding and be back just in time for school to start again. But no! For some odd reason we're having the wedding in Legend at the Rosemont Castle.

This whole thing has 'what the heck' written all over it – along with the media's news coverage.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

"Smoke, will you please get the door!" Mom yells from somewhere in the cabin.

I huff a response and stick my tongue out at Filly as she shoves me off the couch and at Mandy as she flips through TV channels, trying to find the "perfect" movie to watch: she's stuck between Iron Man 3 and Underworld. And I think we're heading towards Iron Man 3 because she feels insulted with how Underworld describes the Werewolves. Which has me going; really? It's an Earth movie. How are they to know that Lycanthrope and Loup Garou are the same exact creatures as Werewolves? And how should they know that Werewolves don't look like walking bears with the faces of squirrels?