Chapter ~ 19

~ Chapter 19: Why Can't People Just Stay Dead? I Know, Morbid, but Seriously ~

Angel's Trumpet is a pendulous bell that sways daintily from strong branches, it can be in many different colors, but the most toxic to Pure Ones are white. I have no idea why, but something about that shade is basically deadly to us. Davenport made a weak concoction of it, and everyone is having a hay day about "why he would do such a thing if he didn't even know that a Pure One was in the ballroom?" Of course everyone comes back with maybe "he was just seeing who he had to deal with." It then comes back around again; "he didn't finish off a little girl playing with sticks all by himself?" I know, so insulting, and the guy basically said it to my face.

But it's okay, all these old guys seem to have forgotten what it's like to be in a time of war. They grew up when only men could join the Mages, and if my something-great-grandmother hadn't put an end to that as queen, I have a feeling that it would still be that way.

"Ugh..." I sigh aloud and flop back on the cushiony grass of the mountain island, named; Dragon Island. Nyx coos beside me, her head coming to rest on my stomach, I try not to laugh at the weird sensation of her scale while Cai makes a noise of annoyance from around my feet.

"Jealous much?" I tease.

"Ha... I do not get jealous of such small creatures."

"Yeah, you're jealous."

Cai shoves me out of his head with a mental glare, and I chuckle, causing Nyx's scales to rub my stomach and make those tickling chills again.

"What are you two talking about?" Eaton comes into view above me, upside down from my position. His silver eyes shine like a twin full moons on a cloudless night. The sun dances off of his black and silver hair, that really needs a trimming as it curls around his jaw. Astrid comes and flops down beside me, smiling.

"Cai's jealous of Nyx." I state teasingly.

"I am not!"

"Are too."

"Ha..." Eaton says, "Don't worry, Cai. I'm jealous of Smoke, my own dragon likes her better."

Cai huffs, rolling his eyes. "I am not jealous."

I grin. "You totally are."

Eaton laughs as he drops down beside Astrid. "You know they're waiting for us, right?" He plucks grass and begins dropping it on my head.

I huff out a breath of annoyance and a blade flutters off from around my mouth. Eaton replaces it with three more. "Do I have to go?"

Eaton just raises an eyebrow at my whiny attitude and Astrid shoves his shoulder. "What?!" She gives him a look and he sighs, turning back to me. "Today should be the last meeting, so let's just deal with it."

I groan out some insults involving treason and climb to my feet. Nyx whines when her head drops to the ground. Cai, on the other hand, stands and gives Nyx a haughty look that says; Ha, now who's better?

I sigh, "You are totally jealous."

"Am not."

"Whatever." I climb onto the saddle and get comfortable just as Cai takes off. The familiar strong gust of brisk wind hasn't affected me this whole week. It has become as natural as mounting Cai. Only with October half-way over, the weather is going to begin frosting over and soon I'll have to bundle up so I don't get sick.

Nyx and Eaton, Astrid and Fletcher are behind us as soon as Cai levels out above the wispy clouds. Two of my four friends never leaving my side for anything. Sadly Mandy was called home and Filly hasn't come back since she went home, her mother thinking her home in Elven Wood is safer than anywhere else.

A Fifth Daughter [Book 1: The Dragon Rider]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara