26.

He smelled like mint and rain. I didn't think those two could smell good together but it did on him and I couldn't help but breathe him in as I buried my face in his chest while wrapping my arms around his torso. He hugged me tighter as if I was his life line (the thought made me blush) and rested his chin at the top of my head. Screw my thoughts. They can wait later.

It was just us.

As cheesy and sappy as that sounded. That's what it felt like to be with him, just like all the other times we've hugged. Just then, the bell chimed again, indicating new customers, but all I heard was:

"CLAIRE, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? WE'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR YOU!" Amanda.

"Hey, woman! Do you know how worried we were?" Fox.

"Never run off like that again! You got me?!" Alec.

"You scared the shit out of Julian and the rest of us here. Especially when that dickwad Jack told us you were crying. But, really, I'm glad you're okay." Winter.

I pulled away from Julian to look at the four of them. "Yeah. Sorry about that. I just needed some fresh air and some time to think."

"Think about what?" Amanda asked.

The whole store was silent. I glanced at Marianne, who raised an eyebrow at me, before looking back at my friends. The look Marianne shot me was something I understood all too well: What's your move now?

"About how I really needed some ice cream and that we can talk about the next prank later when all of us," I looked pointedly at Fox and Alec. "are sober." I answered.

"Great! What will it be? On the house." Marianne piped in.

I smiled at her gratefully and she replied with a wink.