Chapter 23

A/N: Have you seen the second part of the interview with Rhys and Riley? It has a special appearance from Wonder_Ghost and ILurvMusic. The link to it will be in the comments.

As to why I was absent for a while: I've written a short blog post about it and how to avoid it happening to you which will also be linked in the comments.

Hope you enjoy the chapter!

*****

I sat down, cussing Ace Darrell in my head.

His presence in the Milk & Cream couldn't have been a coincidence. How had he known that I'd be there?

And why had he decided to follow me?

Had he wanted to see how I treated Riley?

I was sure he would not approve of a relationship between a human and a shifter, but then again, Ace didn't care about Riley... He didn't care about anyone. Perhaps he'd come out of spite, just to mess with me before he meddled into the murder investigation and messed with all of us.

But how was I to tell this to Riley without confusing him or scaring him further?

I took a long sip from my coffee before I replied:

"A hunter."

"A hunter?" My mate repeated and I realized I'd failed at least with half of my task - he'd ended up being confused.

"You mean he kills rabbits and birds, and stuff?"

"No." I looked up to him. "I mean a bounty hunter. He's probably here to try and catch our serial killer."

We couldn't allow him to meddle; we had to stop him.

I got up and as I paid for my drink, I added:

"I should tell Keri about him. And Kelly; she should warn Callum. The hunter would want to see the crime scenes and there are patrols still keeping an eye on the last location; Callum should know his men are in danger..."

"Wait... This guy isn't actually going to attack police officers... Is he?"

His round eyes and shaky voice marked my tasked as a complete failure; my mate was even more frightened than before.

"This guy will do whatever it takes to get his prey, Riley." I leaned over the bar and grabbed him by the chin. "He doesn't care much about laws and morals and that makes him dangerous; the fact that he's really good at what he does, makes him even more so."

I tilted my head and brought my lips to his, kissing him long and hard. I hadn't wanted to scare Riley any further than Ace had, but my mate needed to know what that man was capable of. I pulled away with a sigh and leaned my forehead over his, keeping my eyes closed.

Warning Riley was the right thing to do. Even though Ace doesn't hunt humans, he'd use anyone to get what he wants. He might be interested in the killer now, but if he gets the chance, he'd turn his eyes to us, Bullets. If Riley knows Ace is dangerous, he'd stay away from him and he wouldn't let Ace use him... It was the right thing to do, it was the right thing to do, I kept repeating to myself.

If only I could tell Riley the whole truth and he moved in with me! He'd be safer with us.

"Lock your windows and door and lean a chair on the latter. Keep your phone with you at all times and call me..."

"If I hear, see or feel anything strange," he quietly finished my sentence.

"Exactly." Opening my eyes, I pulled away. "I'm sorry about today, Riley; I was looking forward to it but..."