Chapter 40

A/N: Would you enjoy it if I organized a monthly giveaway, even if the prize is something small like a chapter dedication or a shout-out?

What other prizes would you be interested in?

PS: I know I haven't replied to your comments on the previous chapter. I can't open my mail (I get this really cute robot telling me there's an error) so I can't read my email notifications, see what you've commented on and reply.

And yes, I know I can see the comments on Wattpad, but without looking at the notifications in my mail, I wouldn't know how to reply to inline comments - you know, the ones you leave on a certain part - because I wouldn't know which part of the ch...

And yes, I know I can see the comments on Wattpad, but without looking at the notifications in my mail, I wouldn't know how to reply to inline comments - you know, the ones you leave on a certain part - because I wouldn't know which part of the chapter you had in mind. I'll answer as soon as I stop seeing the little blue fella with the wrench.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book!
^_^

Expect a second update this week, over the weekend.

*****

"The Sentinels." My eyebrows pinched together as I mused over where to start. Should I go for a history lesson style 'The Order was founded in/by' or stick to what was important?

I decided that the latter option was the winning one. It was going to be less boring and a lot shorter; I preferred moving on from this subject back to the Bullets or at least shifters in general.

"You remember that I told you there are humans with supernatural abilities, right?" I asked my mate and when he gave me a nod, I went on:

"At many points in history the shifters, Dayers, Nighters, Gifteds and ordinary people were at a quarrel or a full-blown war with each other. Since ordinary humans found it difficult to protect themselves against us, the Order of the Hunters appeared. It consisted solely of humans - some gifted, others not - and many of them cared little weather a supernatural creature was guilty or not; they just wanted the prize they would get from the head of a shifter or a vampire. They committed many atrocities, going as far as to hunt even children."

My last words understandably made Riley shiver. I tried not to pounder on how once upon a time, children - innocent, little kids - had been hunted down like animals and murdered without a blink of an eye by people like Ace Darrell.

Instead, I moved to sit next to my mate, with my back against the wall and my arm around his shoulders. He leaned into me, placing his hands over my speeding heart, electrical current simmered through my chest at his touch.

"That was when a second order arose," I continued. "The Order of the Sentinels. Their goal was to stop the chaos that had ensued. Unlike the Order of the Hunters, the Sentinels included non-humans too. Back then, it was comprised of Dayers, shifters, Gifteds and occasionally by normal humans. They also had rules, which for the most part apply today. They prosecute all species, not just the supernaturals, and offer protection to those who need it, regardless of race or species. Consider them the supernatural police. They are the ones we contacted when we found out the murderer was a werewolf. Nowadays, their Order consists mainly of gifted humans."