Chapter 23: Preperations

I repeat the words again just to be certain that I heard him correctly.
"A ball?"

Skye nods, his blond hair sticking out in odd directions, "A royal ball, to be specific."
"And you... you want us to attend?" Arthur asks, mirroring my disbelief.
"Isn't that what I just said?" Skye laughs, springing out of bed to admire the swords hanging on the wall.

Arthur and I look at each other in utter astonishment and shake our heads, our mouths ajar in protest.

"But... won't this ball have other fairies at it?"
Skye poked at a blade, "Of course."
Arthur crossed his arms, "Unless you've failed to notice, Ophelia and I are human. It's not as if you can create us some wings out of parchment and bird feathers. We'll be noticed as outsiders immediately."
"That's where you're wrong," Skye moved on to the next hanging sword, "The other attendees of the ball will be fairies, but they'll be in human form. The royal palace in Pixie Hollow is in human size, to display their wealth to the townsfolk. So, in case you've failed to figure it out yet, that means you'll have no problem blending in."

"Won't everyone notice we're not royalty?" I asked, curling the cloak around me again as I noticed a chill in the room.
"The ball is open to the entire village. That's how I heard about it. Plus," Skye spun to us, a devious grin on his face, "It's a masquerade. Everyone will be in masks. Nobody will think you're anybody except two fairy townsfolk. Trust me, I've figured out all the details already."

I shook my head at his ability to make this sound so casual. What he was suggesting was absolute absurdity!

I stood up, flustered, "You can't really be serious, Skye."
He turned back to the wall and examined another sword, "Why wouldn't I be?"
"Because it's madness! Arthur and I are not fairies and we certainly do not know any fairy customs that would allow us to fit in."
"There are no customs that would prevent you from going. You just go, enjoy yourselves, and dance. It's simple."

I looked at Arthur for help and he shrugged, seeming just as lost for words as I felt. He rubbed a hand across his jaw and flickered his eyes towards me, his mouth sealed. I sighed and looked back at Skye, who had dismounted a sword from the wall and was testing its weight.

"We can't go to this ball." I stated.
"You can." Skye said, getting a grip on the blade and slashing at the wall, "And you will."
"We don't know where it is."
"I can show you the way." He offered.
I put my hands on my hips, determined to find a reason to convince Skye why we couldn't go, "We don't have anything to wear."
Skye held out the sword and narrowed an eye to look down the length of it, "You're talking to someone with magic, here. I can make you two appropriate clothing with a snap of my fingers."
"I can't dance."
"I'm sure the young captain can teach you. He looks like a man well suited for the job."

I slammed my foot down in frustration and raised my voice at him, "Why are you so insistent that we attend this ball? It's entirely pointless and reckless! How don't you see that?!"

Skye lowered the sword to his side and gave me a funny look, almost as if he was offended that I shouted at him, "I do see where there are risks, Ophelia Darling, but I also see the rewards of it. You'll be able to experience a part of Neverland that no mortal has experienced before. You'll dance the night away in the royal palace, something I myself have never had the privilege of doing, and you'll never have the opportunity to do it again. The point of going is to stop all your moping and go out and do something adventurous!"

Skye took a step toward me and extended his sword, using it to point at me, "You two need a night out. Go to the ball, Ophelia Darling. Go and dance, and laugh, and live a little. What's the worst that could happen? That you have a good time? Isn't that something you should be striving for?"