Chapter 25: The Past Comes Back

"ARTHUR?" The Queen asks again, her voice dripping with fear.

My throat closed as I realized the effect of my mistake. I used a human name in a world of fairies. We were done for.

I tighten my grip on Arthur's arm as the Queen looks him up and down, her eyes putting the pieces together. Things in the room were still spinning, but the Queen's bold figure was clear in my line of sight.

"The raven hair, the commanding stance, the piercing eyes." The Queen nodded, "I should have put together the pieces sooner. You're James Hook's son, Arthur Hook."

My feet were frozen in place as the Queen narrowed her eyes at Arthur. It wasn't as if the Queen was entirely furious. There was an unmistakable anger in her words, but I also noticed a trace of alarm. I could see how she stiffened her back, prepared to run if we presented any danger.

"I think there's been some kind of mistake, your Highness." I stuttered, sheltering Arthur behind me even though I clearly was in no state to do any protecting, "This is Devlin, we're from--"
"There is no need to lie, child." The Queen's curious glance changed to me, "I know who he is. And I know what he is. An evil hearted, cruel, misshapen excuse for a pirate. But you," She narrowed her eyes at me and took a step closer, "Who are you?"

"Don't answer her." Arthur instructed, grabbing my arm and pulling me beside him.
I staggered as he wrapped an arm around me, standing fearlessly before the Queen. When he did, the Queen's expression saddened. Her eyebrows drew together as she regarded Arthur and shook her head.

"What has happened to you, Arthur Hook?" She asked, her eyes gentle as they stared at him, "You were not always this person. I remember the wee babe who ran amuck with the other lost children and played on the shore. The little boy who snuck off his father's ship at night to find mischief with my kin."

I furrowed my brow and looked up at Arthur, searching for confirmation. He once dreamed of being a Lost Boy? He used to sneak away from his father's ship and play with the fairies? Looking at the man he was now, I could never imagine it. He was so bold, so serious, so protective. To think that he was once a carefree little boy was almost impossible.

Arthur shifted uncomfortably and cast his eyes down, "That boy has been gone for some time now. That boy grew up, and realized that life was not as easy as playing make believe."
The Queen nodded, disappointment written on her pristine face, "And now the man standing before me is... what? A Captain? You so quickly dismissed your childhood and became this man your father wanted you to be. This monster."
"He is not a monster." I slurred, attempting to look menacing from behind Arthur's back but ultimately failing.

The Queen folded her arms at her waist and caught my eye, "I've heard the tales for years now, but I didn't believe it. I didn't believe that the gentle little boy I once knew had taken over the Jolly Roger. But it's true, I know that. You terrorize the seas, Arthur Hook. Men and creatures fear you."
"I can't help what I've become." Arthur spoke, his voice pained, "It's in my blood."
"You know that's not true. We write our own destinies, master Hook. No one can control your life but you." The Queen replied, sympathy dripping from her.

I tried to process what I was hearing through my muddled brain, but nothing was making sense. I shook my head and felt the warmth of the nectar crawling up my neck, "Do you two know each other?"
"We did." The Queen gave a grim smile, "Many moons ago. When Arthur was only a boy. An innocent boy."
"Those days are long gone." Arthur replied, his stone cold mask up to hide what I knew he felt.

The Queen motioned to the dance floor behind us, "And yet I find you here, sneaking into my kingdom to dance with my kin once again. Only this time, I see you've brought a friend."
Arthur pushed me a little further behind him, "She's no one you need to be interested in."
"Oh, young master Hook." The Queen sighed, "Why the secrets? She's here with you, is she not? Either way, you are both guilty of being here uninvited."