Chapter 3

*Riddhi Pov*

"Dad, can I talk to you about something?" I asked, kneeling beside his chair where he sits to enjoy some music after lunch during the holidays.

"Sure!" he replied smiling and I felt something sinking inside my heart but tried to show a confident face.

"I... I love someone." I mumbled and fisted my hands praying he will start asking questions like I thought and not burst out his anger.

"Who is it?" he asked after a few minutes pregnant silence.

"Shiv!" I replied staring at his face.

"Your classmate?" he asked with a blank face and I slowly nodded but then I saw a immediate doubt covering his face.

"He is not the one who is the son of the town head, right?" he asked and I nodded frowning but felt good that he is guessing everything as it seems the words got blocked again.

"No!" he said raising his voice and I jerked back in shock.

"What?" I asked, thinking I must be imagining his words.

"You need to forget about him. I can accept anyone except the son of Girish." He replied getting up.

"But I love him." I said not in a weak voice and with confusion covering my thoughts.

What does he have against uncle? I thought, frowning and got up myself from the floor. I glanced to my side to see mom standing near to us and I can see from her expression that she heard everything.

"He is really a good guy and loves me so much, Dad." I said, moving my hand to hold his but he turned with a such angered face that I just stilled my hand.

"He will be just like his father not knowing how to be something good. Do you know how crooked is this Girish?" he asked shaking his head.

"What happened suddenly, Dad? You didn't have a problem with him while voting for him right." I asked, not understanding his reaction mainly towards Uncle.

"Because I didn't know how he was at that time. A few days back, he tried to bribe me to make some face accounts of non-existent pensioners and give him those. Can you believe someone doing that for this kind of things? Just imagine how low he can sink for other things." He explained and my eyes just widened hearing everything.

Uncle did all that? Does Shiv know about this? He would have told me right? I slowly took a deep breath knowing well I can't be in silence and let the news sink later regarding this and focus on main thing.

"I know what Uncle did is wrong, but I love Shiv, who is a good person and works hard in all his studies." I said to which he stared at me in disbelief.

"Your parents know what is good for you, Riddhi. Will you choose your opinion on someone you just know more than ours?" Mom asked stepping inside the conversation.

"I don't know him just recently, Mom. I know him for the past six years." I replied, knowing well I can't hide everything.

"Six years?" Dad asked in a shocked whisper before sitting back in the chair.

"How were you able to hide it from us?" Mom asked, turning me towards her holding my hand tightly.

"I... I know you will not accept, but it was not something foolish. We both really love each other and will always stay happy, Mom. We can't be happy without each other. It is not a little thing to forget easily at all." I replied honestly but felt the shivering inside.