What About Now?: 3.

This story is slow at the start. They always are. But give it a chance;)
_______________________________________________________________________

"It was lovely to meet you all—"

The scrapping of chairs and rustling of papers interrupted me, and I stopped to look at my students pointedly. They were first years. First day. Second lesson. Restless the whole time. And to be honest, less excited about getting to know each-other. Many of them sat in an awkward silence; some looking scared. There were one or two forward boys and girls that immediately went and sat together when they entered the room. I could imagine that when they kept interrupting everyone earlier, they were all flirting. All six of the forward kids; Olivia, Angela, Florence, George, Jake and Ben were the first names from this class that stuck into my head. They looked like they might become a pain.

"Sir?"

I realised that I had stopped pointedly looking at everyone and was just staring at the said six kids. I shook my head.

"Yes? Oh, where was I? It's lovely to meet you; remember though, go easy. It's my first year."

"Same here," one of the students at the front mumbled. 

"Have a good day." I finished, nodding my head. I stood up from my desk and opened the door.

The students scrambled quickly and I sighed. The second years were far more sociable than the first. I went over to look at my rota. I didn't have a class next period, and then lunch. So there was nothing to do but explore for the next two and a half hours.

I ran a hand through my hair before straightening my tie. The clock ticking was the only sound in the room apart from my light breathing.

I looked out at my classroom. It looked like a great size; I could work on making it a bit more homely though. The books on the back shelf didn't look very organised; I'd have to sort that out at some point.

My eyes scanned across the rest of the room and landed on the desks. I shook my head when I saw some of the students hadn't tucked the chairs in properly. I briskly went around and did it instead.

"Coffee," I instructed myself after finishing the duties of cleaning my classroom.

I walked out of my room to the previous room I found the mugs in. Mr. Max, I didn't know his first name, was still in the room; just not reading.  He looked up and smiled when he saw me enter.

"Morning," I said quietly.

"Morning Alex!" he replied. "How's your first morning been?"

Hanna's face quickly entered my mind and I didn't reply for a moment while I tried to push all thoughts of that girl out of my head for a few moments. It wouldn't be healthy to think about her all the time. "Okay thanks." I finally replied. "I assumed the students would have talked more. You know, interacted a little bit."

Mr. Max clicked his tongue. "I know what you mean."

"I thought there would be a little more conversation." I said as I moved towards where he was standing.

"You'll get there. The first years are nervous and the second years think they're too 'cool' for that."

"Thanks..." I trailed off; not knowing his name.

"Freddie," he replied. "Freddie Max."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why don't the students call us by our primary name?"

He laughed and lightly shrugged. "I don't know, college just insist on using our surnames."

"Oh."