❉| chapter one

❝we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided

❝we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.❞

-jk rowling, author

ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW so much can change within a mere three months? The time stretches on and on until it seems like there will be no end. Every day is the same, full of routines and monotonous schedules that confine me to Arkadia like I'm being held with a chain and a collar around my neck. After being so used to wander freely, this is a huge change.

Time on the ground is different than it had been in space. A week equals two months. The days seem to either pass along slowly or so quickly I lose track of them, buried in mounds of work and more routines. I feel like I've aged faster and am older than eighteen - though, of course, that's not the case.

I sit on a barrel outside during my break, writing another letter to Clarke. I've been meaning to do it a lot sooner, but with everything going on, I haven't had time. My pen works furiously across the pages until my hand begins to cramp up.

I haven't heard from Lexa since the mountain - not that I heard from her then, but you did. The only thing she's done is restrict our grounds and prevent us from growing our own food. We have to get everything from a nearby trading post. And we've reached an agreement not to use Mount Weather's resources.

I don't think Heda likes me very much. She certainly doesn't have eyes for me like she does for you. I've pretty much always been in your shadow, Clarke. You were the Privileged, the smart one with perfect grades, the one who didn't have to worry about where she'd get next week's dinners from. I was the delinquent thief, the average one, the middle-class girl who may have become a klepto if they didn't lock me up. We were so different. We always have been. We shouldn't have worked out, but we did, and now I have to survive without you.

I haven't woken up again to try and find you. I haven't g

"Hey." A foot kicks my leg lightly. "We got a signal. You in?"

I look up to see Octavia Blake standing in front of the barrel I'm sitting on. Her sharp cheekbones look even more prominent with the sun behind her, and her black Grounder clothes make her eyes appear lighter. The top section of her long, brunette hair is tied back with a braid that blends in with the rest of the tresses. Her expression is expectant yet teasing.

"Is that even a question?" I ask, smiling and closing my relatively new, hardly-used notebook. "Hell yes."

"Raven's starting up the Rover." Octavia points to the garage. "Might wanna hurry, or I'll tell Abby you were slacking."

"It's called a break, O," I shoot back, my grin stretching farther as I get up and stretch out. She shakes her head and heads off toward the stables to get her beloved horse.