49. Revival and Rivalry

Sweat formed on his forehead and his heart raced with fear. He's never been this terrified in his lifetime.

The person snaking around him was not Claire. She looked like her - yes, but she's not Claire. She was his ex-fiancee, Gabriela. Only she, other than Dora, called him Andy. Only she would persuade him to get rough and reckless. But Claire-

Was it over? Was he too late to save her? After all the things they've been through, this is where it ends?

He closed his eyes to control the raging anger and fear in him. His jaw ticked, teeth clenched tight, he was about to react, when it happened.

A wave of realization hit him. The moment he thought about Claire's whereabouts, he had this weird connection very similar to what he used to feel before the curse broke, which pulled him to truth. Pulling him as if there's still some connection between them. He could feel her soul. That was as cheesy as it sounded but undeniable. And that - whatever it was - was calming his heartbeats to normal, making him sure that there's nothing to worry about. Claire was safe.

Ander, being completely relieved yet dumbfounded, removed Claire's arms from him gently.

"I- I have to take care of something." he told her, and whisked away, leaving Claire or whosoever it was beneath, completely clueless with an ugly pout on her face.

If his doubt was right, and she was actually Gabriela who either possessed Claire or transformed like Claire, he has to act oblivious as far as Gabriela is concerned. He can't risk her knowing that he's quite aware of what's going on.

But first he has to find Aria and ask her to escort Claire back to her house. Claire's not in control and totally unsafe. He scanned around for Aria as he dialed Dora's number.

"Andy?"

"Something happened to Claire. Gabriela did something. I'm not sure. I thought Claire was dead but then something called out and I had this feeling like she's fine but then again what is Gabriela trying to do? Why does she wants to take over Claire's body. I think she wants her dead but she can't do anything like that. Can she?"

"OK. Now take a deep breath and please repeat again. All I heard was Claire and Gabriela. I was sleeping, Andy."

Taking a few quick breaths, his tongue worked as his eyes scanned the area. He was explaining him how he knew it was Gabriela, when he saw Rick approach Claire. They were near the bonfire, Claire laughing at something he said. Ander saw him handing a red cup to Claire.

"I have an idea what she's upto, this Gabriela." Dora said after Ander finished his story. "She's trying to overtake Claire's body."

"You mean possessing her?" Ander asked as his eyes found Aria standing far away, talking to some people. Now that Rick was on the scene, he wanted Claire out of here as soon as possible.

"No. Not possessing. This is different. It's more like revivification, more like - more like rebirth." she explained.

"You mean like consuming Claire's body because Gabriela doesn't have one? But, Claire is safe now, right?" Ander talked hurriedly, his heart pounding again, unreasonably.

Suffocation.

A foreign feeling chocked him up . He needed air or he thought so, when his throat tightened. He breathed in heavily yet there was some void. Something or..

Claire.

He glanced back at Claire, again. A great mass of people gathered around when Claire stood few minutes ago. The music had muted somehow, the world around Ander was whirling.