Ten

Through the shadow, through the cloud, the light escapes. We too can follow. We too can copy the glow. There is no darkness we cannot outturn, there is no night we cannot wake from.

Omer

The night was dark, just like a sinner's deeds. It was deep, more than the ocean. It contained wonders, same as the galaxies.

Walking with long yet quiet steps, he moved towards the entrance door and unlocked it with a key he always had with himself. The deadly silence and dim lights welcomed the tall, black-eyed man as he stepped inside the magnificent Lashari House.

Without even caring to glance around him, he started walking straight to the staircase which would lead him to his room. He knew that nobody was going to be awake at this time of the night as he had told no one about his return.

Knowing his mother and grandmother very clearly, he was certain that if he told them about his arrival, they would stay up all night and wait for him.

And that was the last thing he wanted to happen.

Glad that all of them were in their bed and he did not become the reason for their lack of sleep, Omer walked towards his room, content. He was halfway through the stairs when a thought came to his mind and he turned on his heels and went down again, this time moving towards the kitchen. Thirst had made him change his route and forced him to go to the kitchen.

He pushed the kitchen door open and entered it, not forgetting to turn on the lights. He reached the board on which the water bottles were placed orderly and picked out one of them. Not caring about pouring the water in a glass, he rotated the cap and drank water directly from the bottle.

Gulping down the liquid smoothly, he again turned around and left the kitchen, taking the water bottle along with him. Omer had not yet reached the staircase when something caught his attention and he stopped dead in his tracks.

He had forgot to turn off the Kitchen's light and that helped him see through the darkness. His eyes narrowed and his forehead got decorated with lines as he began taking slow and cautious steps towards the large window pan which was opened and someone was sitting outside in the moonlight.

Frowning a little, he reached the window and his calculations soon changed as he took in the sight of two ladies sitting at the step. His frown deepened as he saw Fariya and Maida talking in slow and hushed voices, with Fariya's head resting on Maida's shoulders.

Omer wondered what they were doing here at 3 in the morning and his subconscious begged him to remain static at his position and hear what the two sisters were talking about but his manners and etiquette convinced him otherwise.

Shaking his head, he rotated to leave both of them the way they were but he had only just taken one step back when he heard the voice of her, of that gorgeous mess.

It felt like the devil had tied the chains around his feet and he was not able to move an inch. He stood still as he heard someone. A voice which was strange, not so familiar, but whose owner was his; legally, morally.

But it was not her voice which made the moving man come to a stop, it was the word she uttered

A word which shattered his world once, a word that is nothing more than an illusion. Just something that people use to manipulate other human beings to give in to them. A word people so shamelessly repeat over and over again to get away from their atrocious deeds. A word he lost his believe in on a cold, december night five years ago.

Love.

His eyes widened as his ears took in the words of her, of his wife.

"She said she loves him."