14. False King

I walked out of the room and almost immediately bumped into Leila, who grabbed my arm happily. "Come on Hayley, lunch time!"

We walked on, and hadn't even taken three steps when Damian sidled up beside us. The smile was back on his face, his gait cheerful. The crack in his couldn't-care-less mask that I saw just now had vanished, disappeared as if it was never there. 

"Lunch! I can't wait to see how the cafeteria looks like." He tilted his head as he regarded me with that cocky smile. "Mind if I join you guys? I'm a new student here, and I saw that the two of you were in my Chemistry class."

Leila halted and I followed suit, struggling to keep my emotions in check. Turning to him I forced on my widest smile, and said, "Oh I'm so sorry, but my friend and I are joining my other friends, at a table that is fully booked, and I'm afraid there's no more space. Maybe you can try another table? You wouldn't like eating with us - insignificant females anyway." I added the last part for extra measure.

He feigned shock pretty well. "Oh I wouldn't say that. The two of you look like lovely company, and I'm all for gender equality."

His mouth was spouting so much crap that I wondered what the hole in his derriere was there for. He certainly didn't need it, his mouth was doing all the work on its behalf.

I ignored him and started walking away. "Come on Leila, let's go." My tone was irritable as I tugged her arm.

But she wouldn't move. Her feet stood rooted to the spot. When I turned around, wondering what was going on, she looked at me and spoke.

"Actually Hayley, I think there's still some space left over at our table." Her voice was a little rushed, a little breathless.

I narrowed my eyes. By the Lord, please don't tell me - 

Leila looked back at Damian. "It would be nice of you to join us!" She slid her arm out of my grasp and extended it. "Hi Thomas! I - I'm Leila. Leila Elleholm." When Damian shook her hand I saw the way her body gave a little hiccup.

Did she just - My eyes widened.

By Merlin's most baggy Y-fronts!

Leila, my best and about only friend here in Pambrooke, was attracted to Damian Blackcroft, criminal-in-the-making and a manipulative little snake.

This. Is. A. Disaster. It was clear the girl's eyes were only for show. For ornamental purposes! Damian? Really? Damian? I needed to talk to Leila about her taste in men. 

The little voice in my head popped up. Well you did dated his twin sometime ago......Yeah well that's different, I shot back. That was Thomas. This was Damian. I could forgive her if it was Thomas, but Damian - ?

Unless of course they were both the same guy. 

I shook off that thought the second it came. No, he wasn't Thomas. I was sure of that. I was. 

Leila was saying something. I tuned in. "Well Hayley, shall we go?" She looked almost excited.

I supposed I could go on with