The Window

When I was about 10 years old, my family lived in a house in Orange County that backed up to a small canal and service road. We had a 6 foot cinder block wall, but the service road was raised up to that level. Our backyard was only about 15 feet deep. I could see it room my window in my room.

One  clear night with a bright, full moon, I was having trouble sleeping. My bed was against the opposite side of the wall with the full view of the canal.  All my lights were off and everyone was asleep in my house. A silhouette of a man, black lit by the moon, appeared on the service road, and slowly walked until he was nearly in the centre of my window. He stopped walking, turned, and stare into my room. I froze in fear thinking he knew I was in there and that I could see him. I hid my head under the covers for what seemed like an eternity. Then looked back out of the window, moving as little as possible. He was still there, staring...

I absolutely panicked, but didn't want to move and have him see me terrified by him. I put my head back under the covers for less than a second and screamed. I looked back out the window. I looked back up and he was gone. I looked out the window to try to see him run away, but no one was out there.

Still freaks me out to this  day....