Chapter 12

"Scotty, I want to know what's happening to my ship," Kirk demanded.

The bridge crew had all assembled in the briefing room again. Kirk had just about had it with these disruptions; they were beginning to interfere with the normal operations of the ship. As a result, he was responding in his usual dynamic manner; when James T. Kirk wanted something done, he wanted it done right and he wanted it done yesterday. The bridge crew was attempting to accommodate him—they had been talking for quite some time in the briefing room, but they didn't seem to be getting anywhere.

"Captain, we're doing the best we can," Scotty answered apologetically. "We've checked all the affected systems but we cannae find anything wrong with them."

"Well, there has to be something causing all these malfunctions around here," Kirk grumbled.

"Perhaps the ship is haunted," Chekov suggested with a grin.

"That is illogical, Ensign," Spock replied.
"Errors of this magnitude do not occur without reason."

"I was making a little joke, sir," Chekov explained, slightly irritated.

"Extremely little, Ensign," Spock told him, face straight as ever.

"Gentlemen," Kirk interrupted. "We have to act before... whatever it is reaches our critical systems."

"Aye," Scotty agreed. "If we have another main power failure, I cannae guarantee that we'll get the backups on in time."

"All right, we're going to search until we find the cause of these problems," Kirk announced.
"There will be round the clock investigation of every system on this ship. Better to bite the bullet now rather than risk a life support failure later."

"'Bite the bullet,' Captain?" Spock asked from beside him, frowning.

"It's an old Earth saying, Mr. Spock," Kirk replied shortly. "It means 'get it over with.'"

"I know this saying. It was invented in Russia," Checkov announced.

Everyone stared at him incredulously. Chekov hid an amused grin.

"Coordinate with your departments," Kirk said finally. "Nothing will be overlooked." He stood up from the table.

"You have your orders."

-------------------------------------------------------

After a full day of searching, the crew had yet to find the cause of the malfunctions. Despite examining each system one by one, there seemed to be no reason for any problems at all. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were walking down the corridor together, having finally decided to retire for the night. They were all weary from the day's activities and eager to return to their beds.

"Everybody's been working themselves to exhaustion," McCoy was complaining. "It won't do any good if you all collapse at your posts."

"Doctor, the situation is extremely urgent," Spock replied. "Since we have not been able to find the source of the malfunctions, we therefore must assume that an external force is acting upon this ship. Such a phenomenon could pose a threat to everyone on board."

"But we don't know that, now, do we, Spock," McCoy persisted. "Damn computers. It could be a loose screw for all we know."