Chapter 5

Summer POV

"You're leaving? Why?" I asked Kylo after I swallowed my mouthful of food.

He decides to drop this on me as we're eating breakfast in the cafeteria, when there was plenty of time to tell me earlier this morning. I could sense something was bothering him since his odd awakening last night, so maybe this is for the best.

"Only for a day or two," Kylo replied, finishing his plate surprisingly quickly. He looked like he was in a hurry, as if he was going to be late to something important. "You will be fine here until I return. Just wear your helmet. People will respect you."

"But leaving me with General Hux..." I don't care if I sounded whiny. THIS was worth whining over. Hux hated me as much as I hated being around him.

"Summer, please cooperate. I need to do this." He slipped his helmet on and stood from the table.

"But where are you going?"

"I can't say," Kylo said, his voice now buzzing from the voice apparatus in the mask.

"What about my decision?" Maybe I'll get an extension before I have to answer to him.

"Did you make it?"

I gulped. "No..."

He paused before he spoke, worrying me. Mainly because I couldn't see his expression. "You can have until I come back."

Score! More time to live.

"Now Hux will be here in a moment. I really need to leave."

He left the cafeteria before I could say anything else. Not that it would have made a difference, but still.

I sighed, looking back down at my near-empty plate of food. I don't know why I had to be constantly watched over by someone. And Hux of all people to stick me with...

Speaking of the Brit, not even a minute after Kylo left he entered, crossing the crowded room to my table. "I hear I am to look after you today. Joy..."

Well, good morning to you too. "It is unfortunate, but I shall make the best of it," I threw back at him, not wanting to deal with his sassy demeanor first thing in the morning.

I could see he was strongly holding back a comment that wanted to escape his lips so badly. "Are you finished? I don't like being held up from my work."

I nodded and stood from the table, putting my helmet on. I know it won't bother Hux, but if I can freak out a few Stormtroopers it's worth it.

Hux took the lead and I followed him out, keeping up with his steady pace. I moved up to his side right when he was about to open his mouth, probably to tell me to stay close to him. I knew it was only so he could watch me. He could care less if anyone bothered me here.

Hux didn't say a word as we walked down the corridor, making me feel very awkward. Surely this guy knows how to properly community with another person.

"So why did Kylo have to pair us together?" I asked him, trying to break the ice. My electronic voice also startled me. "I mean, I could have just stayed in his room."

"He gave me an order to look over you while he's away, and I don't plan on breaking it," Hux replied, leaving no room for negotiating my way out of this.

I hesitantly glanced in his direction. "So...where are we going?"

"Main bridge," he answered, as if I should know this already. "I still have my duties to execute."

"What about me?"

"What about you?"

"Well, what am I supposed to do while you work?"