Chapter 8

Summer POV

I waited patiently for Kylo to return from checking the command shuttle's damaged engines. I kept myself occupied by keeping watch on every person or thing that walked by, making sure none were going to try to bother us. Kylo gave me a comlink so we could alert the other of an emergency while he was outside. He also left a small blaster behind, for my own self defense in case someone managed to sneak on board.

It was surprisingly busy in the spaceport given the time of day it was. By the light of the sky, it was late evening and darkness will hit the planet soon. This didn't look like the place you really wanted to spend the night at...

Thankfully everyone passing didn't give the shuttle a second glance. All were too occupied with their own ships to pay any attention to ours.

The hatch suddenly opened and I jumped to attention, panicking and firing a shot at the entrance. The laser froze in midair and my body also became paralyzed in the Force.

Kylo, his arm outstretched and looking irritated for being shot at, marched inside, shutting the hatch behind him. He released me and clamped his hand in a fist, the laser bolt exploding where it was.

I laughed awkwardly as he walked up to me, motioning to his hand. "Blaster. Now."

I lowered my head and handed it to him. "Sorry."

He sighed, annoyed, and laid the weapon down on the dashboard. "Future note: always look before you shoot. You're lucky I was paying attention."

I nodded but really didn't hear him, having a hard time keeping my eyes off him.

Kylo changed his outfit to make it easier to work in while inspecting the shuttle. The hood and robe was removed to keep anything loose or flowing to get caught or torn on the engines. The armor on his thighs was also removed so he was more mobile and not carrying around extra weight. He took off his long sleeved top to keep him cool, leaving the tank top beneath on (which I certainly didn't mind). The oversized belt also came off, having no use since his robe was gone and his pants were tight enough to stay up on their own. Though he kept his gloves to protect his hands while sticking them in the sharp gears of the engine.

And he was sweaty on top of all this. You can't blame me for practically drooling over him.

"You're staring," Kylo pointed out with a smirk, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I felt my face heating up. "Sorry."

"Am I a little...distracting for you?"

I turned away, not giving him the satisfaction that he was right. "No, my mind is still a bit weird from Jakku. I just went off into thought."

"Right..." He walked past me, stretching as if he was stiff but I knew better. He ran his hand through his messy hair (which still looked perfect) and leaned against the wall with his arms crossed. "So as for the engines: the left one, which was hit, probably isn't even salvageable. It needs replaced. The other one hopefully just needs a few parts to get it back up and running. The wings are a little battered but will hold us the trip home. The biggest problem is daylight. The sun is gone for today and I can't work beneath moonlight. Even if I had the parts, I won't be able to fix anything until there's sunlight again."

"So not until morning?"

"Pretty much."

I mentally swore, hoping that spending the night here wasn't an option.

"Are you hungry? Because I'm famished," he said, changing the subject. "And it's not like we're going anywhere anytime soon."

"Please stop reminding me of that," I asked. "And yes, I'm definitely starving."