Chapter 14

“On the way to school yesterday Isaac pointed to his belly and told me that his stuffing hurt,” Derek chuckled as he and Stiles flipped through their menus. “I told him that humans don’t have stuffing and then he asked me what a human was.” He shook his head, sharing a smile with Stiles before he added, “I don’t even know where he comes up with this stuff.”

“Doc McStuffins,” Stiles explained knowingly, pinpointing the bacon cheeseburger he’d been craving all day at the top of his current menu page. “It’s a show on Disney about a little girl that takes care of her stuffed animals. I let him watch it while he does his morning treatment.”

The waitress came over and took their drink and food orders before collecting their menus.

“Anyway,” Derek continued once the waitress had left. “I brought it up because I think the new antibiotics are bothering his stomach.”

“I know. I brought it up to Dr. Marmon at Ize’s appointment yesterday and she said it was just a side effect. I mentioned the mood swings, too.”

“Also a side effect, I presume?”

“Of the steroids, yeah. We already knew that from last time, though.”

Derek nodded and looked out of the window beside their table, sudden somber reflection in the glass catching Stiles’ attention.

“Hey,” he whispered reassuringly, reaching across the table and placing his hand atop Derek’s.

“I’m just really worried about him,” Derek sighed; Stiles could tell that his husband wasn’t focusing on the cars and people passing by outside. “Poor kid’s always going through so much.”

“I’m sorry we didn’t really get a chance to talk about his appointment yesterday. Marmon said his lungs sounded good, though, so she lowered his steroid dose.” Stiles’ voice was hopeful as he smiled reassuringly and squeezed Derek’s hand. “At this rate he could be off of them in another week or two.”

“That’s good news,” Derek said softly, but Stiles knew he still needed more proof that things were getting better. “What was his oxygen level?”

“98. She said he seemed upbeat and wasn’t wheezing, so she was very happy.”

“Good,” Derek nodded as he moved his eyes from the window to his lap.

“Hey,” Stiles prompted again, hand finally taking Derek’s in his, fingers weaving between that of his husband’s. “What’s going on? You’re shutting down on me, babe.”

“I’m just tired,” he shrugged.

“We can go home,” Stiles offered. “Get our food to go.”

Derek shook his head, eyes still avoiding Stiles’. “Not like that. I’m not exhausted. Not physically, at least. Just…”

“Emotionally?” Stiles asked.

Derek nodded.

“Things are getting better, babe. I promise. Isaac’s finally doing well; his x-rays are mostly clear and he’s starting to be his happy little self again. And I know last weekend was a lot to handle, but a lot of good came out of it. Your idea about framing the picture of Isaac and his mother and placing it on his nightstand was a great idea.”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “I’m still second guessing myself on that one.”

“He sang to her, Derek. Wednesday morning. I walked in on him singing “You Are My Sunshine”. They must have practiced in school on Tuesday. The picture was in his hands and he was happy.”