Chapter 18

"How was it?" Derek asked nervously as he took a sleepy Isaac from Lydia's arms and let her into the house. The Valentine's Day tea had been on his mind for the past two days, scenarios ranging from peanut-induced anaphylaxis to high-pitched emotional meltdowns playing continuously in his head. It was nice to actually have his son calm and in his arms, but he knew he wouldn't feel completely relieved until he was sure things had gone smoothly.

"He pretty much fell into a sugar coma in the car," Lydia explained, closing the door behind her and setting Isaac's backpack on the stairs. "Other than that, fine."

"You better not be lying to me."

"What, or you'll rip my throat out with your teeth?" Lydia asked with a smirk and raised eyebrows.

"You talk to Stiles too much," he mumbled.

"And you worry too much," she countered.

Derek rolled his eyes as he repositioned Isaac on his hip, the toddler yawning before returning to his sleepy state on his father's shoulder. "Keep the extra car seat; we might need you to take Isaac to a few t-ball practices in the upcoming weeks."

"So Stiles said 'yes' to the PTA thing?"

"Yeah, he figures it'll give him an edge or something in case the district decides to move people around," Derek explained softly, though he figured Stiles had already clued her in. "I don't really know all of the details since it's one of Stiles' infamous master plans. But I do know that it means some afternoons and maybe a Saturday or two he won't be around to get Isaac to t-ball."

"And with your promotion...," she trailed.

"Yeah," he sighed, embarrassed to be explaining this to Lydia. Just because his husband was close with her didn't mean Derek was, and part of him wished Stiles was home to have this conversation with her instead. "Not exactly the best of situations, but we'll make it work."

"It's totally fine," she smiled, rubbing the toddler's forearm gently.

"You're sure he was okay?" Derek asked, the list of what ifs that had his mind racing all day starting up again.

"Happy as a clam," she assured him. "We ate, they sang, the teacher read a book."

"No tears?"

"Not a single tear was shed by Isaac," Lydia promised. "But I may have let one or two go in the car."

Confused, Derek looked for Lydia to explain.

"On the way home, before he passed out, he said I was the best Godmommy ever."

"Stiles," Derek smiled, nodding. "He didn't tell you, did he?"

"Would have been nice," she joked.

"Well, it was a joint decision," he assured her, to which she smiled in understanding. "And thanks for today. It meant a lot to all of us."

"Of course. I have to head out, but tell Stiles to text me the dates you need me to babysit."

"Will do."

"Oh, and what time did you need me on Saturday?"

"We had to cancel our date; Stiles has some father-daughter dance thing through the PTA at the elementary school that night," Derek explained. "But we still need you for our appointment with Dr. Galler at six on Wednesday if you're free."

"Yup. Already wrote it on my calendar."

"Great. Say bye-bye to Aunt Lydia," Derek coaxed, Isaac blinking his eyes sleepily as he woke.