Chapter Six

Reborn: The Boy Who Discovered He Wasn't

By Sabrynabrooklynne with advice by Vintagebellagirl

Chapter 6

=============

As the week went by, Carol prepared herself every day for the fight she felt sure was coming, but it never happened or at least, not the way she had thought it would.

Each day when she got home from work, there sat James in either a skirt or pair of skinny-leg jeans, a pair of sandals or one of the two pairs of his new 'Daddy's Money' brand hightop's with the hidden wedge heels on his feet, but never barefooted or in his favorite boy sneakers.

He seemed to be wearing just a little more makeup every day, the acrylics still on his fingers, the earrings still dangling from his lobes and an air of content about him.

It wasn't till the weekend that the fight showed up. It seemed she would have to drag him kicking and screaming to get him away from the computer and to the doctor's office.

He let her know that he wasn't sure he wanted to go out in town again dressed as a girl, not after the close call he'd had with those boys in the mall.

Carol pointed out the fact that he had spent the entire week dressed as a girl, so it was apparent to her that he liked it.

James responded, "Yeah, it's okay. What I like the most, is all the positive attention I've gotten from you this week. I've never before felt this close to you. It's what you want anyway, right? I mean, if I went back to just being a boy, you would try to take the source of my weight loss, the corset, away again, wouldn't you?"

Carol thought about it and realized he felt like he had to do this to please her and earn her love. Was she subconsciously controlling him, she wondered.

Was she insisting he stay dressed as a girl, without having to actually come out and say it? She did know that the relationship between a mother and son is naturally different from a mother-daughter bond. The later being much  closer. Having always wanted a daughter, she did enjoy the closeness she felt with James taking on the role of a daughter.

Carol began to wonder if she shouldn't be encouraging him in that direction, or at least, insisting that she loves him the same, no matter what. Instead, she thought, maybe she should be suggesting to him that this is his own choice, so she relented, but only to the point that she gave him a pair of the least feminine looking girls jeans she could find and a baggy unisex tee shirt, so he looked somewhat like the boy they knew.

Carol felt herself cringe at the sight of James walking back into the room wearing the clothes. He had no makeup on, his toenail polish was removed, his hair was pulled back in a low ponytail, like what a long-haired biker might wear, and in his hands was his dirty old black Converse hightops that didn't have the hidden wedge heels.

"You took your earrings out?!?" Carol exclaimed anxiously. "You know what the girl at the mall said about them needing to stay in for four to six weeks. They will have closed up by the time we get home. At least put the gold balls in and you can remove them when we get to the doctor's office. Then, as soon as we get back to the car you can put them back in. That way they are not out as long. Okay honey?"

Even though the voice in his head advised otherwise,  James relented.  Returning with small gold studs securely in his ears, he was almost ready for the trip to Dr. Marcus.

There was just one more thing though, the acrylics. He asked his mom how they were going to get them off and she told him it wouldn't be too difficult since they had been on a week already. She took him to her bedroom and twenty-five minutes later they really were ready to leave, the nails no longer attached.