4 - Amber

Song of the chapter - Safety Pin by 5 Seconds of Summer

My stomach was in knots thinking about going to school the next day. I expected drama. I expected rumors. I expected angry glares from Matt and his crew. Those thoughts weren't helping my stomach at all.

After he broke up with me, I spent the rest of the day at Nico's house, mostly trying to keep my distance from him, and listening to April go on and on about how awful Matt was. I mean, for the most part she was right. But there had been times that were good, and I didn't want to forget those entirely. He had been my first boyfriend, so I wanted to remember the happier times with him. Garrett seemed to avoid me for the most part, which was fine by me. I was still trying to figure him out, and he continued to make me nervous.

April was loud, outgoing and opinionated. She was nothing like any of my friends, at all. It was refreshing to be around someone who wasn't afraid to say what they were thinking. At the same time, it was intimidating because I wondered when I would be the subject of her disapproval. That wasn't a conversation I was ready for.

When my mom texted that she was home, the three of them determined it was safe for me to leave. April jumped at the chance to give me a ride home, thank goodness. I didn't think I could handle being alone with Garrett, or survive a ride with Nico. So I grabbed the few things I had with me from school and jumped back in April's car.

"Just put your address in the app and sit back, doll. You need to relax, you still look like you're about to jump out of the car!" April laughed.

"I guess it wasn't that bad, but Garrett certainly wasn't enjoying my company" The plan was for me to hang out with them after school until they decided that Matt was no longer a potential problem. I hoped that happened soon.

"Oh, he enjoyed it just fine. You don't know him like I do." Now she was smirking at me.

"Well, he avoided me the entire time, so if that's how he enjoys company he needs to work on his hospitality skills." I crossed my arms over my chest.

April glanced my way and shook her head. "So there is a little fire in you after all. I was beginning to think you were a little mouse!" Her eyes went wide after she said that, then she clamped her mouth shut.

"I guess there is. But I'm not a mouse!" Being called a little mouse felt like an insult.

"Relax, okay? I just meant that after all that's gone on with you and Matt, and Garrett, I'm glad to see you can still speak up for yourself" her tone was softer so I decided she didn't mean to insult me.

After a ten minute ride, we pulled up in front of my house. Garrett and Nico lived in an older part of town with a few industrial buildings mixed in with older homes. My house was in a new section, but still modest and average in every way. We weren't rich, but we had enough.

"Nice place." April said as she scanned the area. "I don't see any signs of the asswipe so you should be good. Let me put Nico and my numbers in your phone so you can get ahold of any of us if he shows up later."

I gulped as I handed her my phone, both at the thought of having another confrontation with Matt, and for having Nico's information in my phone. I wouldn't be using that number, ever. I know he seemed nice enough while I was at his house, but I still had those stories going through my head. I wasn't sure his behavior was very predictable.

"Oh.my.god. Would you knock it off! Nico is not going to hurt you!"

"Because he's older than me?" I guessed.

"No! Do you honestly still believe that rumor?"

Uh oh. Looked like I was now on the receiving end of her disapproval. "Well, it does seem likely based on what I heard today."