12 - Garrett

Song of the chapter - Pretty in Pink by Psychedelic Furs

Amber held my hand as the judge returned from his chambers. It was a relief that Brett had waived his right to a jury trial, that would have dragged things out longer than I could stand. This had been bad enough, and it had only been a month.

My nerves felt like they were on fire, my stomach twisted in knots. This was fucking killing me, having to even sit in the same room as that monster. Amber must have sensed my anxiety because her hand tightened around mine, her eyes glanced over to me. I looked at her, she had always been able to calm me down with just a look, even long before I realized my feelings for her. I allowed myself to gaze into her gorgeous green eyes, letting them work their magic over me. I took a few deep breaths, still looking right at her. We didn't smile or say a word, but I knew what she was thinking, and she was right.

Brett didn't have any power over me. Not anymore.

I felt more relaxed and put my arm around her, pulling her just a little closer to me. Then I turned my attention back to the judge. Whatever the ruling was, this was over. I was free, no matter if Brett was found guilty or not. But I really wanted that asshole to be found guilty.

"Brett Fletcher, you have been charged with 23 Felonies, including Murder in the first degree. You have waived your right to a jury trial. My ruling is final as you have also waived your right to an appeal."

I sat up at attention hearing that last part. He had given up an appeal? Then the ruling really was it, this was over. My breath seemed to rush out of my lungs, shocked at the judges words.

"I find you guilty of all charges."

Holy hell, he was fucking guilty. I put my head down, resting it on the edge of the seat right in front of me. Without much effort to stop it, my shoulders started shaking, my emotions taking over. I felt Ambers arms wrap around my back, holding me. God, I don't know what I would have done without her there.

"You are hearby sentenced to no less than twenty years on the charge of murder in the first degree. The additional charges bring a sentence of twenty years to be served separately." The judge continued. "No eligibility for parole."

Forty years. No parole meant he'd stay behind bars. It wasn't enough, but nothing would ever be. There was no way any length of time would ever equal the loss of my sister. But it was something. It was more than the last eight years of hell. It was five times more, so it was something.

The sheriff came over and removed Brett from the court, returning him to whatever cell he'd been rotting in during the trial. I snuck a glance at him, not really wanting to see him feeling upset over the sentence. The asshole deserved it, and so much more. But what I saw left a question in my mind. He seemed calm, as if he had expected it. As if he also knew he deserved it. Where did the monster go?

It didn't matter, I didn't fucking care about him. He was done. As he was led out of the courtroom, my hand gripping Amber's, we stood together and turned to leave. I wanted to walk out of this building and leave all this shit behind. It was time to let go of the past. I was finally ready.

"I'm so proud of you." Amber said quietly as she wrapped her arms around my chest.

"Why?"

"Because you faced your biggest fear...again. And you didn't let it suck you back to that place. You're walking away stronger than before." She told me.

"I think you play a big role in that, too." I confessed. "You are the first person who's seen past the hood, the scar. You have no idea what that did to me!"