Erumpetis

Erumpetis

Being there were only two bicycles, Lily pedaled one and Sirius the other, while James balanced on the back axle, his palms on Sirius's shoulders, hanging on tight as Sirius pedaled along, complaining. "You're nearly as fat as Petunia's walrus, you giant git!" Sirius shouted as they wobbled their way to the boardwalk from the park, "Bloody hell Potter, what did you eat for breakfast."

"Two bacon sandwiches and a bag of crisps!" James announced, laughing.

"Blimey," Sirius said.

When they got to the boardwalk, they left the bikes against the shop's wall again and went off to explore. James had exchanged some galleons for muggle money when Dora had brought him to get his swim shorts and he happily bought them a giant knickerbocker glory to split and they sat about at a picnic table and watched the crowds go by while they ate. Lily and Sirius told James about the incident with Snuffles, and Lily did a fair impression of Sirius the first day he'd tried riding the bicycle, which made James laugh and Sirius deny he'd ever been that terrible. "I was a natural at it, don't believe her, she's full of lies!"

"My money's on Evans's version, sorry mate," James said and he high-fived Lily.

"Bugger the both of you," Sirius said sourly, biting into the large cherry that had been a top their ice cream.

After they'd eaten, they bought ticket to ride the ferris wheel and the carousel and Sirius snapped pictures from the very top, where the wheel had come to a stop and Sirius shouted, rocking the seat and Lily yelled for him to stop it before he had a lapful of recycled knickerbocker glory to contend with. James looked at her 'round Sirius, who had shoved himself in between them when they boarded and he smiled at her, enjoying the happy pink glow about her cheeks and the flickering of her green-green eyes.

They raced through the crowds of people once the ferris wheel had let them off and went to the carousel, where they selected horses and rode about in loops. Sirius enjoyed it so much he went 'round a second time, shouting and waving each time he passed by and Lily and James stood outside the gate, watching alongside the other parents that had small children shrieking and waving from the painted ponies.

Lily looked up at James as they waited for Sirius, and she was reminded of the last time they'd really been alone together - standing on that balcony back at Hogwarts, the night with the cigarette. James was laughing at Sirius Black, but there was something in his eyes - a slight line of worry pinching the soft skin by his eyebrow... She looked over and saw Sirius go past and then looked up at James. "Are you having a good summer so far, Potter?" she asked.

James nodded, "Yeah, been alright so far. How about you, Evans?"

"It's been interesting," she replied, her eyes flitting to Sirius then back again.

"I told you to get a leash," James reminded her.

"I ought to have listened," she answered, laughing.

"I know Sirius Black," he smirked, "I might not know much else, but I know him." And he waved a Sirius went by again yelling PROOOOOONGS as he went.

Lily thought for a moment. "How are your folks?" she asked.

James's lips twisted into a bit of a nervous pucker as he chewed the inside of his cheek nervously and he shifted his weight, glancing down at the boards beneath their feet, at his trainers... "Good," he said. But she could tell he was lying.

"Is there something the matter?" she asked.

James looked at her and she could see the concern in his eyes, but he shook his head, "Nah. I'm alright, Evans." He smiled, but it was a sad sort of smile, "Really. I'm just glad I'm here messing about with you lot..." He turned back to face the carousel as the spinning slowed and Sirius slid by one last time.