A Miracle

A Miracle

After Sirius's session with Dorcas ended, he went down to Charlus Potter's room. Dora was asleep in the chair beside the bed, her cheek pressed to her husband's chest as he, too, slept. James sat across a chair, his legs hanging over the arm of it, leaning against the back, staring blankly at the wall.

Sirius cleared his throat quietly and James looked up, first in a bit of panic at Charlus, then at Sirius. He rolled so he was sitting normal in the chair and his eyes flickered to the bag at Sirius's hip. "You're off then," he said.

"Yeah," Sirius replied. "Veigler and Remus are waiting downstairs for me."

James nodded, "Well then, I guess this is g'bye for now then, huh?"

Sirius hesitated. "I guess so."

James said, "I'll owl you if anything... happens."

"Alright." Sirius's voice was tight. He looked at Charlus and Dora, and he felt his stomach twist uneasily and Achlys shifted in his chest. He drew a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I don't know how to be -- here."

James didn't know how to be there, either.

Sirius took a step forward and he held out a book. "I got this. For your dad." James took it. It was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. "It's a muggle book. The back of it says it's about sciency stuff, like time travel and I dunno aliens or whatever. I know your dad likes that stuff. Maybe you can read it to him."

"Thanks, Padfoot."

"Yeah. No problem." He paused. "You're okay, yeah?"

James nodded, but Sirius leaned down and gave him a hug about his shoulders anyway. James's throat ached as hugged Sirius back. "Be safe. Send me loads of owls," James murmured.

"I'll send pictures, too," Sirius said. "I packed the camera." He smiled.

"I'll look forward to seeing them," James said.

Sirius looked over at Dora and Charlus. "Tell mum and dad --" he paused, "Tell your mum and dad I said bye."

"You were right the first time," James whispered.

Sirius's eyes welled up. "I'll miss you lot."

"We'll miss you too."

"I'll visit."

"We'll be here."

"Hopefully not. Hopefully you'll be home soon," Sirius said. "All three of you."

James blinked back tears, "Yeah, I'm sure we will be."

Sirius patted James's back and ruffled his hair. "I love you, Prongs. Not in a gay way. Just a lot is all."

"I love you too, Padfoot."

Sirius turned and started for the door, then stopped and looked back. James was putting the book on the table beside Charlus's bed and throwing his legs back over the arm of the chair, leaning back into the cushion... Sirius drew a deep breath and turned.

James went home that night to an empty house.

He stood in the doorway after locking it behind himself and kicking off his trainers, just listening to the silence of the big empty house for several long minutes. He walked into the living room and sat in a chair, sighing as he sank into the cushion. On the mantel were various family pictures, mostly different shots of himself at various ages - birthday parties, and on his first broom, dressed as a golden snitch for Halloween, his Dad behind him as a pro Quidditch player. There was a picture of Dora and Charlus on their wedding day and one where they were standing together under a tree and Charlus had his hands on Dora's pregnant belly, grinning wide as could be, running his palms over the spot where unborn James must have been kicking as Dora laughed.