Raspberry Fizz

Raspberry Fizz

James worried that Lily might break off their meeting time at Fortescue's on account of having heard about Jasper, and kept his eyes on the sky for an owl to arrive all morning. He dressed at noon reluctantly, not wanting to get his hopes up any further than they already were if he wasn't going to get to see her. He still remembered the feeling of waiting at the Three Broomsticks in his past timeline and he didn't want that to be one of the artefacts that made it's way into this one...

James, Remus, and Sirius stepped through the floo into the Leaky Cauldron at twelve-thirty and dusted themselves off, ducking through the crowded pub to Diagon Alley, which was bustling with other back-to-school shoppers. Loads of eleven year olds trembled, looking about at the shops with wide eyes. Sirius stepped around a group of them standing outside Quality Quidditch Supplies, his arms up as though he were wading through murky waters, and he looked at James and Remus, "Were we seriously that size once? Bloody hell, look at them."

"I don't believe we were ever that tiny. I think the eleven year olds are just getting shorter," Remus said with a laugh.

They reached Fortescue's and hovered in the alley outside by the green tables and James started nervously messing with the hem of his shirt, making sure it was all tucked in properly. "I look alright, yeah?"

"I mean, you'll pass inspection," Sirius replied.

James ran his hand through his hair, messing it up anxiously.

"Just be yourself," Remus instructed.

"Your non-obnoxious self," Sirius clarified.

"Smile," Remus added.

"But not like a creepy clown," Sirius warned.

"Mind your manners."

"But remember the ladies love a rebel."

James made a strangled sort of sound, "There she is. I see her. Alright you lot go away."

Sirius grinned, "Look at us, Moonpie, cast aside like we're nothing!" He paused as Lily approached through the crowd and James looked rather desperate for them to leave, and Sirius playfully punched James's shoulder. "Just remember, Prongs - it's bros before does, alright?" He winked.

"Shut up!" James commanded.

Sirius grinned, "What, don't you like my joke? I've only just made it up."

James's eyes narrowed.

"Come along, Padfoot," Remus said, rolling his eyes and taking hold of Sirius's shoulder, "Let's go before we ruin Prongs's odds with your sexiness." He pushed him off, away from Fortescue's.

"That is a concern," Sirius said, smirking as he allowed Remus to shove him off. He looked back at James. "Good luck, mate."

"Thanks, now go."

They'd only just left when Lily finally made it through the knots of people crowding about Diagon Alley to come to a stop before James. She wore shorts and a light yellow top that sort of flowed around her body, but lifted ever so slightly in the front and he wasn't sure, but he thought he might almost have caught a glimpse of her belly button under it and the thought excited him. Though he didn't know why. It was just a belly button. But it was Lily Evans's belly button and that made it superior to other belly buttons. Her hair hung over her shoulders and James couldn't help but notice how long her legs seemed in those shorts and he awkwardly stood before her a moment, staring into her eyes a moment as it processed that she'd actually come. Then, his brains catching up with him, he leaned forward and pecked her on the cheek as a greeting. "Hullo."