Chapter Twenty-eight

"The most powerful force in the universe, is that of love." Unknown

"So, when are you going home?"

Perli pouted and crossed her arms. "Are you kicking me out already?"

"Of course not," Liz laughed, swinging her arm over Perli's shoulder. "It's just that," she paused as if to think of what to say next. "You are a married woman you know, so you need to be close to your husband."

Perli smiled sheepishly, "I wanted to visit, I missed you."

"Oh, really? And you were with me yesterday morning and afternoon." Liz raised her brows, expressing disbelief. "So, that's why you chose to sleep over?"

Perli nodded, removing Liz's arm from her shoulder.

"You know I don't believe you, right?" Liz asked, her brows elevated.

Perli smiled again. "I know."

She drew back to the comfort of the soft pillow and covered herself with the thin blanket. She intended to go back to her lovely sleep, the one she had been enjoying, before Liz rudely barged into what used to be her room and woke her up.

"So, what happened?"

Perli directed her eyes to Liz. "What do you mean?" she asked, although she knew what she meant.

"I see the look on your face," Liz pointed out, "so what happened?"

Perli sighed. She battled with herself whether to tell Liz. When she had arrived at this place the day before, she had used her spare keys — which she kept for some odd reasons — to access the house. Liz was not around, and when she did come back, she couldn't hold back her confusion, yet she didn't question her about it.

"I'm exhausted, we'll talk tomorrow," Liz had only said, heading for her room. Now that it was tomorrow, Perli didn't want to talk about it, but she knew Liz would simply force it out of her if necessary.

"Well, what happened?" Liz asked again, noting Perli's prolonged silence.

"We just..." Perli began, sitting up from where she lay and resting her back against the wall. "Had a little misunderstanding, so I thought I should give him some space."

"Misunderstanding?" A look of concern washed over Liz's face. "He..." she hesitated, not wanting to think the worst of the misunderstanding. "He didn't touch you, did he?"

Perli shook her head. "No, no. He didn't."

Liz narrowed her eyes, and without warning, pulled Perli's arms out from under the blanket as if to check for something.

Perli pulled away and frowned. "What are you doing?"

"Checking for any bruises," Liz stated obviously and attempted to touch her face. "I'm about to go beat somebody."

Perli slapped her hand away. "I'm fine, he didn't touch me, he just got... Angry, really angry. It scared me," she felt a cold breeze run through her body as she spoke.

"Why was he angry?" Liz questioned, shifting closer to Perli.

Perli rolled her eyes. "He has anger issues," she stated and made a clicking sound with her tongue to express slight irritation.

Liz shook her head, an amused smile dancing on her lips. "Perli..." She knew her friend was not telling the complete truth.

Perli bit her lip and avoided any sort of eye contact with Liz for a few seconds. She thought of what to say.